2010 Vauxhall Insignia Exclusiv 2.0 turbo diesel from UK and Ireland

Summary:

Excellent all rounder

DPF warning light.

Various suspension parts and brakes.

Hatch locking motor can be temperamental - probably on its way out.

General maintenance - oil changes, etc.

General Comments:

Got this as a taxi when it was a few years old. Was very impressed with the look of the car. Comfortable, nice quality of materials inside, excellent to drive and ride in. Spacious as well, I'm nearly 6 foot tall and have no problems getting comfortable.

Engine pulled strong while doing well over 50MPG on average; can't say fairer than that. Brakes were tight and it handled much better than my previous Vectra.

Exclusiv model is the basic spec, but it still had plenty of electrics and equipment. If recommending this car to anyone else however I'd say go for the SRi - you get more equipment and even better looking alloy wheels. But if you don't care about that sort of thing, the Exclusiv spec will do just fine. It has all you'll ever need for motorway cruising.

As many other reviews have said about this car and modern cars in general - I hate the electronic parking brake! We were doing fine with a lever. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Vauxhall dealers are as variable as ever - some are good, some are just not interested. As with any car as it gets older and goes out of warranty, find a nice independent to look after your servicing and repairs at reasonable prices. These early Insignias I think were on the road as long ago as 2009, so there should be a good knowledge of them by now at independents.

Overall I think this car is good, and used as a taxi it has stood up well. Feels classier than it is and I think could cut it with German rivals - though it does not hold value anywhere near as well. The faults above are just general wear and tear apart from the DPF (Diesel Particle Filter) - a real pain on all modern diesels, not just this car to be fair. Looking to buy another privately for myself, I'll probably go for a petrol SRi, best option all things considered.

Review Date: 30th July, 2017

21st Dec 2017, 16:10

You're not alone with your comment about the electronic handbrake;

Of course, some will comment they like it and it is an "advancement", but I and many others beg to differ. A lever was fine. Incidentally, Mercedes had handbrakes on the dash to save space since the 80s, but at least they were mechanical - not electronic. A mate of mine just had his 2015 VW Golf battery go flat and had a hard time moving the car with the brake stuck on with no power to remove it. There is an emergency release, but we had to look for it. A total nightmare, bring back the lever!

25th Feb 2018, 15:03

You could debate forever new features in modern cars with regard to be it being good or bad. Personally I think the bigger issue with modern cars is electronics in general - they always fail sooner or later and replacements aren't cheap. For example on my Insignia the rear boot/hatch motor has just failed and is jammed shut (with lots of stuff in it!) - a real pain and a nightmare to fix. I wouldn't mind so much if the car hadn't cost me dearly on other various electronics, but I just don't see the point in it - a simple metal locking latch like on older cars even with central locking worked just fine without an electronic motor.

On the plus side the Insignia isn't a bad car, it's just nothing special, and as the reviewer stated, a petrol one is probably better in the long run to avoid expensive bills like injectors and DPFs which always seem to fail on modern diesels. At least with petrol the only concern getting older is the minor electronic issues unfortunately on all models.

25th Feb 2018, 20:45

Couldn’t you say everything will fail, sooner or later?

26th Feb 2018, 00:12

Sure you could, but we're talking about specific annoying unnecessary electrics that fail and cause major inconveniences.

26th Feb 2018, 07:25

No, just the electronics.

26th Feb 2018, 19:32

Very well stated. Unfortunately there is a very small amount (if not one) individual who has a strong belief that modern electronics that control just about the entire vehicle will never fail.

2010 Vauxhall Insignia Elite Nav 2.0 CDTI turbo diesel from UK and Ireland

Summary:

A well thought out car, taking in design, comfort and controls

I am very pleased with my car. I think it is a real eye catcher in design, and has a great "presence" on the road.

Driver's heated seat keeps switching off after about a minute.

Headlight washers. Not working.

Intermittent "clicking" noise from behind the dashboard.

Goes into the dealer in a few days, so hopefully the faults will be sorted.

General Comments:

The car is very comfortable. Especially on long journeys. Fuel economy is good, bearing in mind it is an automatic, but with our current road system, I think it highly unlikely that any car maker's economy figures will be achieved.

The driver controls layout I consider to be logically laid out, and the nighttime control illumination is very clear and comfortable to the eyes.

The auto headlight function is effective and very rapid to respond to other traffic.

Cabin side windows are narrower than my previous car, but that style seems to be on many current cars.

Review Date: 21st March, 2013