1995 Vauxhall Tigra Coupe 1.6i petrol from UK and Ireland

Valve problems leading to major engine overhaul, ABS sensors had to be replaced and the engine is never idle and cannot regulate.

General Comments:

The Tigra was a waste of my hard earned cash.

Review Date: 30th May, 1999

12th Oct 2004, 07:08

The Tigra is a fantastic car. You just picked the bad apple. I have a 1995 Tigra and it goes well and, to date, I have had no problems.

1995 Vauxhall Tigra 1.6 petrol from UK and Ireland

Exhaust gas regulator valve.

Driver seatbelt failed.

Cam belt tensioners failed at 30,000 miles but no engine damage occurred.

General Comments:

Was new October 1995. When bought I was doing 600+ miles/week travelling to and from work. I am a fast driver and have driven it hard and to its limits over the last 3.5 years. Good performance for a 1.6 (it's very light) and excellent road-handling.

It's now done over 80000 miles and I have had very few problems with it. I am very satisfied with the service I have received from the Vauxhall dealerships in Cirencester (from where I bought the car) and Bicester (where I work). I would definitely buy another Tigra - the only thing I want now is more power so I'm looking out for the uprated models due late this year / early 2000. These will definitely kick the 1.8 Elise & 1.8 MGF.

If you're looking to buy a Tigra:

1) You'll need to replace the stereo if you like decent music - the speakers too as those fitted as standard aren't bad but lack power - Vauxhall take note - fun car should = fun stereo system!

2) Get the Vauxhall extended warranty if buying new - it's good value & peace of mind if you rely on your car like me.

Review Date: 18th April, 1999

1995 Vauxhall Tigra 1.6i petrol from UK and Ireland

Engine cutout, cause unknown.

Exhaust recirculation valve failure.

Headlamp motor failed.

After less than 24,000 miles over 4 years, timing belt tensioner pulley failed: £3300 for a new engine, I'm currently praying that Vauxhall will foot the bill.

General Comments:

Sexy looking car, fun to drive if a little sluggish at times.

Dealers (here in Leeds anyway) are a little too keen to fix scratches by replacing wings.

Review Date: 11th April, 1999