2000 Vauxhall Tigra 1.4 from UK and Ireland

Summary:

Absolutely love it

General wear only.

General Comments:

Had the car from new, and love it.

Very reliable, and only had to buy a new battery after owning it for 10 years.

Economical petrol wise.

Performs well on motorway and round about town.

Good size boot, and it's remarkable what you can get in it.

Review Date: 14th January, 2012

2000 Vauxhall Tigra 1.4 16v from UK and Ireland

Summary:

Gorgeous but problems!

I bought this car 3 weeks ago, and it was running perfect. It was £2790, which is dear enough for a W reg.

It only has 40,000 miles on it, but when I have been driving it, the engine light keeps coming on and it keeps juddering.

I have taken it back to the garage today, and they sent it to get fixed. They changed a seal on it and said that I wouldn't have any more problems; 2 hours later the engine light was back on and the temperature gauge was in the RED!! Dangerous!!

It will be going back tomorrow... no doubt I will get fobbed off and told there is no problem... until my warranty is finished next week.

Can anyone tell me what the problem might be, and if it is easy to repair? I don't have the money to be splashing out on new engines. If it carries on I'm hoping I have a case with Trading Standards.

Review Date: 20th May, 2008

27th Jun 2008, 03:39

I am just having the same problems with mine and I have had mine for 5 years now, again though it is a W reg. My mechanic is coming out tonight to diagnose it so I will post response tomorrow.

Regards.

9th Jul 2008, 13:53

I had a w reg 1.4 tigra and it was trouble since the day I bought it - such a mistake. It started to judder and then the cambelt went resulting in it needing a new engine. A month later, the temp gauge went into the red and I kept having to pull over and fill the water tank after every 15 minutes. I then got a mechanic to look at the car and he said the head gasket had gone resulting in a £1200 bill. These cars can be more expensive to repair than to buy and in the long run, its just not worth the hassle.

2nd Sep 2008, 07:52

Hi I've got an S reg Tigra Chequers, I've just had to have a new engine, BUT the engine management light keeps coming on and the car is losing acceleration and constantly judders. In fact the juddering is getting worse. I've taken it back to the garage and they fitted a new gasket, but I wasn't even a mile down the road when it started again. I just wish it would get better.

2000 Vauxhall Tigra 16v 1.6i from UK and Ireland

Summary:

Very fun nippy little hatch

Engine management light on all the time.

Speedo not working.

Stalling when coming to a stop.

Fuse blowing.

All these problems started at the same time. I changed multiple parts myself, looked over the car time and time again. This went on for 2 months until I sat in the car stressed at the problem playing with the ashtray; I found a 1p lodged inside the lighter... I removed the 1p and replace the fuse and the car worked fine...

General Comments:

Had the car 1 year now and has been fine apart from above. I love my car and wouldn't change it for anything else. I love the fact the boy racers around the town look at it and try and race me.. but I leave the little Corsas/Saxos behind.. haha.

Very fast for a 1.6; I've got a K/N filter on it and it sounds sooo nice..

Very comfortable to drive on long distances. reasonable fuel consumption (depends if you have a heavy foot).

I have read most of the posts and see that the problems are mainly with the older models?? Did Vauxhall sort out most of the faults on the newer models before the release of the new Tigra??

Review Date: 26th October, 2007