2000 Vauxhall Tigra Reviews - Page 2 of 4

2000 Vauxhall Tigra 1.4 from UK and Ireland

Model year2000
Year of manufacture2000
Previous carVauxhall Corsa

Summary:

Mechanically problem good looker!

Sump Gasket had to be replaced 2 times, second time after the car filled with smoke!

Head gasket blew at approximately 44,000 miles! Plus timing belt and brake pad change at a cost of £375!

General Comments:

I had wanted a Tigra since I saw one and finally, at the beginning of November 2004, I bought one. 7 months on, I am slightly, just slightly disappointed with mechanical problems.

Within the first 2 weeks the car had to be driven back to the dealer I had bought it from as there was a very strong smell of oil coming from the engine - to me, alarms were ringing! I was told the sump gasket had gone and this was fixed under warranty.

Approximately 3 weeks later, still slightly smelling of oil (I thought that this would be oil spilt on the engine that was burning) the car filled with smoke. I immediately pulled over. Again, the sum gasket had gone, had to go back to the dealer, and was once again corrected under warranty.

I have had no problems with this since.

Though, within the last month, my head gasket has blown at just over 44,000 miles on the car and the timing belt replaced.

Also, some careless driver, who admitted was not looking where they were going reversed into my driver side door and dented it 'nicely' (A job well done). I was not impressed, but I am lucky, as the person waited for me to return to my car and passed on their insurance details. The estimate for repair for a new door, labour and painting is some £679.

I have been on to them several times, but I am still waiting to hear whether I can go ahead with the repair from persons insurance. This incident happened on the 23rd of April!

These are all major problems I have encountered.

There are a few minor interior problems, but nothing is of a huge concern to me. The Air conditioning/temperature dial lights do not work and haven't since I bought the car (I bought the car second hand).

Also there are no little neat pockets to hold anything. The glove box can only just hold a packet of sweets and the drawer under the passenger seat, if you know you've got one, took me 2 months to discover it, only just holds my manuals and papers for the car!

The seat belts do not fully pull themselves back in, I either do it myself or they get jammed in the doors, scratching the inside of the door frame.

I also find it not very economical, I find fuel consumption quite high, but this just may be me!

The good points are that I am surprised at the room inside, my seat, the driver's seat, has plenty of room. I do get complaints about the back, but hey, I don't need to sit there!

The boot (or back of car separated by plastic-that's basically all it is) is also quite roomy, but back end is high, need to reach over entrance of boot to put things in neatly.

Any one else also notice that the passenger window opens when boot is closed?

I also find it to be a comfortable ride; I can commute for up to 2 hours a day for necessary trips without any problems.

I also love the attention it brings. It definitely turns heads. And you also don't tend to see many Tigra's about, until you own one! (Any one else get that problem?)

The interior is also lined in Grey, all matching, which is nice.

I do feel a little jinxed with my Tigra, having only owned it for 7 months and having to have the gasket's fixed 3 times, and a non-functioning door (climbing over the passenger seat could become a habit of mine if it goes on any longer), but with it being such a good looker I don't think I could be mad for long. Do think I'd buy another, I'd just hope it would be problem free! We can all hope!

Review Date: 2nd June, 2005

2nd Mar 2006, 13:37

I had to laugh when I read the comments about the passenger window. I thought every Tigra owner would have noticed it? It's a great touch to a brilliant car.

I've had mine for about six weeks now after falling in love with them when they came out. I'm slightly disappointed with the handling, as my previous car (a rare Astra Si 3 door) had fully tweaked Apex suspension, 205/55 tyres and a -60mm drop. Until I do the same to my Tigra I shouldn't really compare them.

Mine just had its 1st warranty repair today... the AGR valve went, a common fault on Vauxhall's X series engines. Other than that, and the fact the car isn't as fast as I expected it to be (i thought the X16XE would be a tad nippier) I'm 110% satisfied. Especially with the much faulted customer service. Mine broke today, its all fixed on warranty and now back on my driveway. top work, and a great car.

2000 Vauxhall Tigra 1.6i 1.6i from UK and Ireland

Year of manufacture2000
Engine and transmission 1.6i Manual
Previous carRover - Austin 200

Summary:

Its great when running well, but when things go wrong, its very expensive

In the two months I have owned the car I have incurred costs of £500.

First problem was the indicater fuse kept on blowing out, every couple of days and on some occasions as soon as one was replaced. This was due to a electrical wiring fault, which the dealer told me was quite common.

Secondly at only 25000 miles the cam belt needed replacing.

At this point I thought surely nothing else can go wrong. As I was driving I noticed smoke coming out of the steering wheel area and then smoke started coming out from the boot area. Again this was another electrical fault, that the dealer had to repair.

General Comments:

I love the exterior of the car. Despite the car only being less than 4yrs old there is a lot of wear on the door handles.

It's a good grounded drive.

Review Date: 12th July, 2004

8th Jul 2007, 15:15

I have a tigra 1.6i 2000 reg. I have not have any problem since I bought 2 years ago. its really fun driving around.. good pick up and in the curves... recommend it...