2007 Vauxhall Vectra Exclusiv 1.8i VVT from UK and Ireland

Summary:

Excellent value for money as a used buy

Aside from a puncture repair and a windscreen chip repair, which I class as wear and tear, along with 2 x front tyres and the second year service (190 quid), it hasn't cost me anything (touch wood!!)

General Comments:

I bought this Vectra as a replacement for a 2004 Mondeo 2.0 TDCi 130 Ghia X, which was starting to cost me a lot of money with various issues arising, due to the near 100k mileage on the vehicle.

I paid £5200 for this 2 year old, low mileage 1 owner Vectra from an independent dealer. The vehicle still had 1 year of the manufacturers warranty and was not yet due for an MoT test.

I have now had the car 7 months, and in that time have covered 12,000 miles in it without issue. Primarily it is used for heavy motorway work, to which it is absolutely ideal, however due to the mileage I cover, another diesel would have been more practical, as the 1.8 VVT, although returning a very good MPG figure for this size of car in mid-high 30's, is very expensive for a high mileage user such as myself. Just a shame the 1.9 CDTi engine in the Vectras has been plagued with issues; this 1.8 VVT petrol seems to be quite reliable!

The car has excellent looks, which always return favourable comments from friends and family, however the cabin is very... grey! The dash is slab sided and bland, although it doesn't look ALL that bad, Vauxhall could maybe have put more attention to detail in the design. I have had 2 MK3 Mondeos previous to this Vectra (a 2002 model Zetec and a 2004 model Ghia X) and the interior of the Ford is far superior.

Being the Exclusiv model also, it has the basic suspension setup, which can wallow in bends, and body roll is very apparent on twisty roads; the ride quality over rough surfaces also is not fantastic, offerings from Ford are MUCH better in this area, although higher spec variants such as the SRi with sports suspension may be better in this area. On a flat piece of motorway though, this car absolutely excels. It can become quite sluggish however on hills, especially if it is loaded (i.e with 3 passengers), but it is ideal for me as most of the time it is just me on my own in the car.

Overall it has been thoroughly reliable in the time I have owned it, and I hope it continues to be. These cars are excellent value for money on the used market, and due to the replacement now being on sale, the values have dropped even more. I have considered selling mine to get an Astra diesel, but I just cannot find as good a car of the same age, with the same mileage for the price I paid for this, so I am just going to keep it and run it into the ground.

Review Date: 21st October, 2009

2007 Vauxhall Vectra Elite 1.9 turbo diesel from UK and Ireland

Summary:

Not good enough, and very irritating indicators!

2 new cars - both with faults. Both have had electrical faults, with one car having a faulty sunroof switch, and the other keeps showing an intermittent fault with the reversing light when there was no fault (checked twice by a main dealer).

Thin paint lacks durability.

General Comments:

I have 2 of these - one is a 2007 Design, the other a 2007 Elite, both used for business.

Very comfortable cars, great performance, very roomy. However they are marred by paint that is so thin any mark will show, extremely annoying indicators that I just cannot stand as they turn themselves off at the worst possible moments, and silly electrical faults.

Also annoying is that you cannot turn off the info display, and this is distracting at night (even when on night setting).

Not really acceptable faults in this day and age.

The Design is actually the better car with easy to use fan/heating controls. The Elite has an annoying display that needs 5 buttons just to get the fan on your face. Oh Ford, why didn't you bring out the new Mondeo 3 months before?!!

Review Date: 20th August, 2007

7th Sep 2007, 09:57

It seems all your complaints are based on a dislike of the technology (or the implementation of the technology) in these cars - computer screens, one-touch indicators and climate control.

Fair enough.

In which case, you probably would have been happier with the Exclusiv or Life models. Although they all feature the one-touch indicators, which personally I like, but I can understand why you wouldn't.

Given that, what did you actually think of the cars, apart from your issues with the gadgets on them? You didn't really say.

Remember, the new Mondeo (2007 on) is also loaded with technology, perhaps even more so than the current Vectra...

1st Dec 2007, 13:29

I love my Vectra exclusive. I've had numerous showroom cars and not many beat this one. It has a few irritating points; water drips into the boot after rainfall as the gutter is pretty useless. The air conditioning is very noisy, but functional. Apart from that It's a great motor with lots of gutsy energy and we love it as a family. Handles well, with smooth sophisticated performance and control. The boot could have been smaller allowing more rear space in the back, but its great for holiday haulage. All in all satisfaction. If things change I'll be back to report!

31st Jul 2009, 18:14

I have just bought a Vectra SRi 2007 model. I got used to the indicators after a day or so and find them very easy to use once I had figured out how to use them. I thought them a bit pointless at first but now I can see the logic in the idea.

Nothing else to report as yet (only had the car 2 days!) But I'll be doing my own report in due course.

13th Jan 2011, 08:52

I have owned a 2008 Vectra SRI 1.9 CD-TDI 150 BHP for 2 years and to be honest can find no faults with the car.

It drives well, handles well, mechanically no issues, can be hard on tyres, but this is pretty much down to driver and heavy right foot.

As a family car would move away from the SRI due to harder ride and firmer shocks.

I picked mine up for £9000 with 11000 miles showroom £21500. Have spent £70 on service and replaced tyres, also under £300 to insure so the car owes me nothing.

I would recommend this car to anyone looking for a good sturdy, reliable workhorse that with care will drive forever.