1998 Volkswagen Beetle tdi from North America

Nothing but a Money Pit

Has anyone had this happen?? The Engine in my car fell out of my VW Beetle TDI, 25 miles after I had it serviced for the timing belt on my way home!!! The car only had about 50,000 miles on it at the time. It looked like someone sliced it right off the mount on the drivers side and it fell and hit the axle. I was amazed that I was not hurt when this happened, since I was driving at the time. The timing belt work was about $800. It was approximately another $5000+ to fix when the engine fell out. Nice huh?? Of course I was told it was a fluke. Some kind of freak thing and nothing that could have been caused by having the timing belt replaced. But it seems too coincidental to me.

This car has been nothing, but problems since I purchased my 1998 VW Beetle TDI used in 2001 with just under 35,000 miles on it. I thought it would be a neat car to own. It has been a complete nightmare. I know everyone at the Dealership on a first name basis because I am there so often for repairs. Since I have owned the car, I have replaced the drivers side and passengers side window regulators twice. The window motors have been replaced. I have had to replace the emergency brake cable, twice. I have had to fix faulty backup lights. I have had to fix a faulty a/c compressor. I have done the mass airflow sensor. And these are just a few of the Many things that have happened. I have never had these kind of troubles with any other car. I should have kept my Oldsmobile. It was ten years old and still going strong... what a big mistake I made purchasing a VW.

General Comments:

Has anyone else had these troubles with their VW Beetle?

Review Date: 3rd November, 2006

10th Nov 2006, 15:28

The motor mount has to be removed as part of a timing belt change. Something was either reused (for example, a single use stretch bolt) or installed properly. For more information, search the tdiclub website. You are due your $5k back. If this job was done by a dealer, double shame on them for making the mistake, and then for failing to either know or to admit the truth.

1998 Volkswagen Beetle 1.5 from North America

It is the worst nightmare a lemon

When we first bought the car the previous owner had no problems whatsoever, so she claims.

First thing the Oil Pan had a crack and had to be replaced.

The lights flicker constantly.

The throttle Body had to be replaced.

Head lights and Brake Lights burnt out.

The car is now at the Dealer sitting waiting to figure out what to do with it. It has burnt out 2 ECM units and the ignoramus of a dealer put another one in and sent me on my way. The Electronic Control Module burnt out again and they want nothing to do with me.

Called VW of America they don't want nothing to do with me. I have to take the Dealer in Puente to Court to get the ECM replaced!!!

The problem is still not resloved with a new ECM now they want 3000. estimate to find the Short in the electrical system and a new harness might be necessary that would be about 5K.

General Comments:

This car is very cute and drives very well and have always owned VW: Bug, Rabbit, Jetta and now a Beetle. Never have had so many problems. The cost to fix the car is just unbelievable. Everything has to be done at the Dealer and the Service Dept are the worse I've ever expereinced.

Hoping to find someone who has had this type of electrical problem with their beetle and hopefully find a solution to my nightmare so I can get rid of the piece of junk.

Review Date: 22nd September, 2005

3rd Oct 2005, 16:21

If the lights flicker constantly you may have a bad earth connection somewhere. Constant fluctuations in the power supplied to the ECU may cause it to fail.

I think you ought to try an independent mechanic rather than a VW dealer.

26th Oct 2006, 13:41

I think I will start a NEW buisness changing vw headlight bulbs. I can CHANGE them in a bout 2 minutes. I'll charge 10 bucks a bulb. Damn people are stupid to pay 100 bucks a bulb.