1994 Volkswagen Corrado Reviews

Model year1994
Distance when acquired162000 miles
Previous carBMW 3 Series

Summary:

When's the next corner!!

Nothing since I bought it - But I bought it with -

A perished rear gearbox mount, split PCV valve, blown rear shocker, faulty heater control panel & an oil leak from the pressure sensor.

Other things to do include changing the chavtastic Momo steering wheel for an original, and the stupid loud exhaust for a quiet stainless one.

However, common faults like sunroof, spoiler, leaky heater matrix, ISV have been done and it's had a rebuild at 145K - The timing chains need doing every 100k minimum.

General Comments:

It's still relatively new to me and until I get it up to spec' I haven't taken it over 100mph, but damn! It gets there fast! The only reason I was doing 100mph was because I didn't realise, my brain said it should be doing about 80mph by that time!

The main reason to buy a Corrado though, is the handling; coming from a rear driver I was expecting it to spin up everywhere... but so far it just grips, even in the wet.

I bought it (hopefully) as an appreciating classic as I was sick of burning my money on contract hire cars, so far it's paid off, as even when I spend £500 getting it back to it's best that's only 2 months of contract hire!

It's an old car an there's a element of paranoia that somethings going to break as it creaks along on its tired aftermarket suspension, but so far this has remained unfounded.

Not that practible, but that goes with territory and it needs attention otherwise it will be expensive.

Review Date: 20th March, 2007

Previous carVolkswagen Golf

Summary:

Fantastic - I will never sell this car!

Coil pack faulty - needed replacing.

ABS Sensor broke.

General Comments:

This car is superb in nearly every way.

The acceleration is excellent, it sticks to the road when cornering at ridiculous speeds, and best of all is the sound of the engine over 4k revs.

Reliability has been generally good over the 12 months that I've owned it, but be sure to get all repairs done at a local garage as oppose to a main dealer, as they are extremely expensive, and not always particularly knowledgeable!

For a 2.9 with 125k, and with the way I tend to drive it, I was surprised to get 30mpg out of it (more on a run).

I usually get bored with cars after 2 to 3 months, but I cannot imagine selling this car ever.

I have driven several VW's (previously owned '92 Golf Vr6) and this is by far the best.

Review Date: 16th November, 2005

9th Jan 2006, 10:35

I agree, the corrado is a legend in its own right. Still to be bettered by todays standards. Even the R32 will have difficulty losing the beast. There are a few flaws with the design, door handles breaking... but mechanically it rules with interior that Japanese cars can only dream of.

It has soul and character with feel and the right weight.

Why don't they make cars like this anymore.

The Corrado rules,

Corrado Forum ID OK VR6.

Previous carSuzuki Baleno

Summary:

Gaint grunt and flair with some big heart aches

Clutch went soon after purchase despite my mechanic checking it. £420.00.

Starter motor. £130.00.

Idle stabilization valve (ISV), ow! Bad mph, cold starting and diminished performance. £230.00.

Front bushes. £256.00.

Coil pack needed replacing, along with a full set of HT leads and plugs. £130.00.

ABS sensor on brake pedal, with the agent orange dash board light staying on! £230.00.

Radiator, I was relieved that it was fixed for under £150.00.

Head lights switch. A snip for £80.00. It runs hot.

Having to go to the main dealer to decode the error messages! Then having to keep going back three times, and over £750.00 later to finally find out what was really up?

I hate moaners, but this car was sold to me by a smiling dealer, who affirmed that my car was, "as sweet as a nut". Hmmm. It is now seemingly worth less than I bought it for despite the extensive repairs.

General Comments:

My car the mad VR6 quickly became known as "The Beast" on account of its feral howl and time-travel like acceleration.

Apparently as you accelerate close to the speed of light, (186000 mph),the world seems to bend in towards you. This is the case with the VR6 when you go from 5th to 3rd with plenty of slammin' right foot.

With this true grunt, the VR6's traction control can be all, but ignored, as the wheels have spun, in the dry up too and including 3rd gear. I am no test pilot, but the effortless verve of the car makes any journey either effortless or dazzling.

It's a car that really should never have left the drawing board, with its too big to fit under the bonnet engine. Hence transverse mount. However I am so glad it did, because on song the VR6 can leave most things dead. Notably except a 500 SL.

The handling is bumpy which I like, and the VR6 will hold its line around fast corners with stoic grit. In the wet, well thats not for me to try.

Review Date: 5th July, 2004

29th Sep 2004, 05:03

Another VR6 owner who loves his car, but has been almost driven to scrapping it due to high maintenance costs.

My advice, try and steer clear of the dealers as much as possible.

The VR6 engine is found in Passats, Mk3 Golfs, Sharans and Ford Galaxies (Yes Fords!). Same engine and ancillaries.

Engine parts are a fraction of the price for the Galaxy.

Try and source parts from www.gsfcarparts.com (German & Swedish) www.eurocarparts.com or www.gpcvwaudi.com.

GSF and Euro supply genuine and pattern parts.

GPC can supply Genuine VW dealer parts, but buy them from Germany direct.

VW are extortionate for parts and servicing, and 9 times out of 10 have no regard for a classic VW.

A company called Ross-Tech sell the diagnostic software and leads for £200, the equivalent of 3 hours VW labour.

Find a local VW specialist and stick with it.

The Corrado Forum is an excellent resource for advice and how-to guides for DIY fixes.

Hope this doesn't read like a plug for lots of websites.

Just trying to help fellow Corrado owners, as too many of these cars end up in the scrappers, due to back street garages and VW dealerships bankrupting the owners.