1994 Volkswagen Corrado 16v 2.0 16v from UK and Ireland

Summary:

Fast, attractive, and rewarding

Exhaust system continues to give me problems, despite replacing parts at £150 a time.. needs a whole new system I think.

Engine seems to be running badly, but cannot diagnose why.

Quite severe amounts of water coming into driver foot-well when it rains.. this is being looked at soon though.

Bad stone-chipping on bonnet & front of wings.

General Comments:

I had wanted a Corrado for quite a few years.. when I went to buy this one it seemed ideal, but since then I have had a few problems with it. I am slowly trying to put them right, but I will be honest and say its costing me quite a lot of money.

The car is surprisingly economical if you don't treat it like an idiot - I generally try to avoid racing people, and on longer drives you can expect to see figures around 40MPG.. not bad really. Around town, provided you aren't stopping and starting, you can expect to get around 26MPG..

The car is still quite stunning to look at.. for a design that is essentially the best part of 14 years old, people STILL look at my car, and I have been asked about it many times. Quite flattering. I think the quite attractive Blackberry Metallic paint helps :)

Performance wise.. it is really quite quick. The response of power you get when you are sat at around 3000RPM and you put your foot down is really quite excellent.. and it makes a wonderful noise as well :)

Handling is good.. though I don't plan on testing the car to its full potential. The ride is very firm.. a bumpy road can result in quite loud bangs and jolts.

These cars seem to he holding their value reasonably well too..

I would strongly reccomend these cars to anyone.. but make sure you have a full and detailed service history with receipts for everything - it is so easy to get caught out on these cars, as many people do not look after them. And make sure you join the VW Corrado Owners Club.. their advice has been a great help, and has saved me a fortune.

Review Date: 4th June, 2002

7th Aug 2002, 08:02

The leaking on the drivers side could be due to a blocked filter on the cradle at the bottom windscreen. It tends to overflow through the rubber filter.

1994 Volkswagen Corrado VR6 from UK and Ireland

Summary:

Unique and never boring

New auto box replaced under part warranty, original one suffered notchiness but the new one is really sweet and loses nothing to the manual.

General Comments:

Best steering control I have ever owned, wish sometimes the ride was not so bumby on minor roads.

Motorway cruising just great, with air con fitted it makes for the ultimate cruiser, can even get up to 36 mpg @ usual motorway speeds.

Review Date: 7th March, 2001

1994 Volkswagen Corrado VR6 2.9 from UK and Ireland

2 wheel bearings, drive shaft, door handle, heater stopped working. Engine seized - (85k), A VW engineer said it wasn't the first he'd seen. VW didn't want to know. £4500 for a new block!!

May they rot in hell.

General Comments:

A fabulous car to drive and look at.

Far more troublesome than I had hoped.

Expensive to fix as well.

Review Date: 11th August, 1999

1994 Volkswagen Corrado VR6 2.9 from UK and Ireland

I bought the car 11 months ago and in that period have covered 10k. The car is coming up to its 60k mile service.

Nothing has actually gone wrong. One of the front fog lights has cracked, the dealers charge about £110 but I bought a genuine replacement from a discount shop for just £55.

Just recently, I have found it difficult at times to engage gear - I think/hope it may just need adjustment? Overall though, the gearchange is not particularly brilliant, certainly it isn't up to Japanese standards.

General Comments:

My car has been fitted with Koni/Eibach suspension, G-Force 2000 discs and an AMD re-chip. I'd like to test drive one with a larger throttle body and variable-valve timing. Although the power graphs show significant power gains following these modifications, many drivers report that the car does not feel 'much' quicker?

I'm a member of the Corrodo Club of GB, which holds regular meetings and has an excellent quarterly magazine. The website is particularly good too.

Review Date: 20th July, 1999

5th Jan 2001, 14:06

The VR6 Corrado motor uses cables and not linkages in its transmission. The "difficulty" you are reporting is probably because you are trying to force it into gear. Let her flow the way she wants to and shift lightly. It's not a choppy Japanese tranny like you're used to. It's German art.

28th Jul 2003, 09:31

Hey, despite being one of the most die hard VW fans, (G60 cabrio PWW May 2001) I can still vouch for Japan (Honda) producing the best gearboxes in the business, but the Corrado shifter should be OK. Try getting the cables adjusted at the gearbox end, if not the bushes below the shifter can wear out, not usually before 100k though...

1994 Volkswagen Corrado VR6 2.9 petrol from UK and Ireland

December 1997: both wheel bearings needed replacing (due to pot holes?)

May 1998: radiator reservoir.

November 1998: radiator blew.

I had a Volkswagen Comprehensive Extended warranty, but this 'comprehensive policy' covers only catastrophic problems.

Have just found out that Volkswagen US have sent out a notice to owners regarding the cooling system, it seems that the cooling system is reaching too high a pressure and damaging hoses/radiators.

General Comments:

Although this is not a family car (cramped with four adults in), it was never advertised as such. This is a performance vehicle with 0-60mph time around 6.5 seconds and top speed near 150mph. I would recommend this vehicle to anyone who is looking at two-seater coupes, but could do with the extra room, or for a new family (i.e. 2 adults, 1-2 young children).

I have upgraded mine to include 17" BBS alloys, Schrick VSR High Torque Inlet Manifold, Schrick 268 cams, Schrick Big Head, 315mm twin-pot brakes, Eiback/Koni suspension kit and an AMD custom re-chip.

It now develops 250hp compared to the standard 190bhp and 0-60mph is 6 seconds.

Review Date: 24th January, 1999

22nd Aug 2001, 15:00

I love my car.

1990 g60 black/deep maroon.

1994 Volkswagen Corrado VR6 2.9i V6 petrol from UK and Ireland

Nothing so far.

General Comments:

A future classic without a doubt. Performance is absolutely breathtaking. Handling and driver involvement is riveting. I find myself deliberately lengthening my journey to work.

Review Date: 30th November, 1997