1987 Volkswagen Fox Reviews

Most recent year of ownership2002
Engine and transmission 1.8 8v gasoline Manual
Distance when acquired232000 kilometres
Previous carFord Tempo

Summary:

Fun car, don't take one too worn

Timing belt.

Gas pump went useless so I scrapped the car.

Driver seat worn badly.

General Comments:

I bought the car knowing it was beaten, but it was cheap and at the time I though it looked cool (not a good idea). It ran for about 1000 km with me, but didn't want to repair some expensive things on a '97 car.

It handles well, accelerate briskly without being really fast, it is a fun ride to cruise. The transmission on this model had only 4 speed, witch was a little arrogant on highway because of the engine sound for revving a little high. The car came without any RPM, it would have been useful.

The car was rusted all around, not too much for a 15 years old car.

Fun car to begin with, just be sure to find one in good condition. For that, I would buy another.

Review Date: 25th January, 2007

1987 Volkswagen Fox stock 1.4L 4 speed Manual from North America

Model year1987
Year of manufacture1986
Engine and transmission 4 speed Manual Manual

Summary:

Intense

Well Once I was driving down a back road I hit a very large speed bumped and I hit so hard I had a leaky strut, but other than that nothing at all.

General Comments:

Very fun to drive and is a solid chunk of car. the stock alternator is enough to run an 800 RMS amp with out dimming the lights...Impressive.

Review Date: 3rd March, 2006

1987 Volkswagen Fox 1.8 from North America

First year of ownership1992
Previous carDodge Dart

Summary:

This baby has been good to me for 12 years

Radiator has had to be replaced twice.

General Comments:

I acquired my FOX in 1992 when I graduated college. I bought a 1987 2 door FOX from a lady that had taken excellent care of it. She had every service record since the day she drove off the dealer's lot. It had 67,000 miles on it, and now it's almost got 300,000 miles on the original engine and clutch. I have driven this car to Atlanta, Denver, Texas, Maine, and I regularly drive it from Philadelphia to visit my family in southern Virginia. This past winter was brutally cold in Philadelphia, but my FOX fired up every time I started it. Even the air conditioner still blows cold air, and it puts put good heat in the winter time. When I lived in RIchmond, I used to put over 70 miles a day on the car commuting back in forth. I can recall that car stranding me 3 times in the 12 years I have owned it. I will keep it until the doors fall off. I love this little car!

Review Date: 15th July, 2004

20th Feb 2008, 16:14

I own I 1987 vw fox and my father says that the car is an awsome car 5 speed transmission7 rpm needs work, but a blast to drive.

1987 Volkswagen Fox GL 1.6L 4 cylinder from North America

Engine and transmission 1.6L 4 cylinder Manual
Distance when acquired190000 kilometres
Most recent distance200800 kilometres

Summary:

The perfect car for beginner drivers. if you can drive this, you can drive anything

Not too much has gone wrong with my car. Mostly simple maintenence, although I had a few problems with the exhaust system.

Small metal dough-nut between the downpipe and the resonator destroyed during the summer of 2003.

Left mirror slightly damaged, roughly the same time as the metal dough-nut.

Leaky Oil Pressure Switch recently replaced.

General Comments:

This is my First Car, in more than one way. My parents bought it new in 1987, a white four door, when I was a mere 3 years old. It was the first car I remember seeing as a child.

It has been Driven From Vancouver to Penticton (BC, Canada) hundreds of times over, without problem. Many of these trips were in terrible weather.

On my 18th birthday, after a new Passat was purchased, the keys to the Fox were handed to me. Thusly, I learned to drive in it.

It's a great little car, very tight handling, and snappy response from the throttle, even though the engine is getting quite tired. It got even better once a decent stereo system was installed, as the stock tape player and speakers just don't measure up to anything.

Being a small car, it's quite uncomfortable in the back seats, and could do with more leg room up front. I have gotten used to this, however, as the seat is practically molded into my rear.

It's an Excellent little car that has held up well, and will for sure hold up until I can get my hands on a VW Corrado!

Review Date: 19th November, 2003

3rd Jun 2005, 23:25

I own a 87 Fox, bought it for a $1000, and its been 5 years, I've had to replace the rear shocks once, and other regular maintenance, but the car is a blast to drive and haven't had an issue. I am selling the car for super cheap to buy a newer car, emotionally attached, will be sad to see my car go.