1988 Volkswagen Golf 16V GTi 1.8 16v from UK and Ireland

Summary:

A driving pleasure - if looked after

New Front Shocks.

Clutch.

Rear brake calipers.

Usual seat wear and some smaller bits and bobs.

General Comments:

First off never underestimate a VW with 200000+ miles on the clock! If looked after these cars are excellent with crisp handling, still respectable hot-hatch performance and good understated looks (if kept standard) I highly recommend the the 16v engined over the 8v because once you've learnt to use its top heavy power band you won't be disappointed - plenty of rolling roads have proved the lower end torque advantage on the 8v to be a myth (in standard form anyway!) and they do handle better. I also think once you've built up some muscles the non-powered steering offers better road feedback. Even after driving more powerful cars (also got a BMW 535 and wife's Corrado G60) I miss the feel of real driving and light weight precision of this car. I can see why so many are still popular on the Neubeuring as they make good track cars.

Looking to get a lower mileage 2.0 16v Corrado engine in it at some point (if this engine will ever die!)

Review Date: 4th June, 2006

1988 Volkswagen Golf GL 1.8 from North America

Summary:

This is a pretty good car and my 8th VW

Things that have gone wrong with this car are as follows:Temperature light flickers from time to time, Oil pressure light comes on every now and then, Air conditioner does not work and the heater is always on.

General Comments:

I paid to much for it, $1000.00. But that being said I do like it. I will probably give the car a good once over in order to keep it reliable, (It probably has another 160,000 miles left on it.)

It handles good, drinks less gas than my 2000 Dodge Dakota and has flaws that would be common for a car of it's age.

Review Date: 7th May, 2006

17th Mar 2007, 03:41

My Golf has the same problem with the oil light, I paid $150 for mine and it has 190,000 miles on it, but it won't quit.

1988 Volkswagen Golf GTi 1.8 - 8v from UK and Ireland

Summary:

Fantastic, buy one whilst you can still find a good example

Water pipe split in traffic on the M25 but I had been sat there for 2 hours.

Heater matrix split pouring boiling hot coolant over myself and my passengers legs, not a pretty sight... VW refused to replace/fix it despite a recall (which the car hadn't been through).

Alarm went up the wall - no fault of the car, but I will never by a Clifford alarm again.

Usual wear and tear items for MOT such a CV gaitors.

General Comments:

The best fun you can have in an appreciating classic.

I prefer the 8 valve engine because of the torque. Fantastic power from the start.

Superb handling, bettered with uprated poly bushes throughout and a Boge Turbogas lowered and uprated suspension kit.

The bolster on the drivers seat wore with time, but this can be expected of a car of this age and mileage.

Review Date: 27th February, 2006

1988 Volkswagen Golf GTi 16 valve 1.8 petrol from UK and Ireland

Clutch plate broke after 97,000 miles.

Engine cut out several times after 100,000 miles.

Water cooling pipe broke during the final few months of ownership. Spotted the fault and fixed it just in time.

Tyres wore very quickly.

Stereo packed up after 116,000 miles.

General Comments:

Showed a few signs of its age, but for a decade or so old car it was very reliable and gave excellent service. A joy to drive and well worth the £2,500 I paid for it. After three years I sold it to my brother for £1,250. It was still going strong in its 15th year when it was written off in a crash.

Review Date: 11th December, 2005

1988 Volkswagen Golf 1.3 petrol from UK and Ireland

Summary:

Nice economic run-a-round

Oil leak from engine - I believe it's been there since I bought the car.

Temperature light flashes randomly.

Right indicator falling off.

Fuel level needle goes up and down for no reason.

Speedometer needle wobbles at times.

Crack on drivers-side headlight.

General Comments:

I've not had the car very long - doing only 2000 miles on it, but so far it's coping very well.

It's quite fuel efficient and provides a smooth ride on most road surfaces. This is a very nippy car when you want it to be.

Review Date: 30th August, 2005