1994 Volkswagen Golf CL 1.8L gas from North America

Summary:

Best car (from among some crappy ones) I've every owned!

Dealer replaced both the head gasket and rear brake master cylinders after 4 or 5 years, dunno if it was really needed or not, but it was expensive.

Most problems are breakage of controls/trim: heater control switches, glove box latch, rear hatch release.

Parts however are not the most expensive, and used parts are readily available.

General Comments:

A very simple car by 2009 standards, but this car hasn't left me stranded once in over 430,000 km.

Can't justify replacing it, frankly, as it still only uses 6.9 - 7.0 L/100 km and it was paid for a decade ago.

Somewhat harsh ride, and the noise level makes long trips a dreary prospect.

If you have a trusted mechanic and can find parts, this is a very economical, safe and reliable ride.

Review Date: 8th March, 2009

1994 Volkswagen Golf Driver 1.8 from UK and Ireland

Summary:

Solid, reliable and fun to drive car that still retains its strong image

Nothing major. Just carried out usual maintenance.

One tappet was particularly noisy on cold start up, but frequent oil changes (every 3,000 - 5,000) quickly solved that problem!

Coolant leak - again I was able to fix that myself - the part cost peanuts from the stealership.

Ignition barrel went, but easily replaced by myself.

Tip: Buy the Haynes manual and be prepared to get your hands dirty - older cars are a lot easier to work on than modern cars.

General Comments:

My first car! My Dad always said to get a VAG car - as long as it has FSH and is well looked after, then you can't go wrong!

Being a 17 year old male who had just passed his driving test it was brilliant! It had previously been lowered with larger alloys and an aftermarket exhaust (tastefully done of course!)

Engine was superb - very torquey, and had a low growl about it. The car was not fast off the mark but it was very safe, solid and comfortable, especially compared to my mates' "tin can on wheels" Fiesta's!

It has been so reliable that I have passed it on to my younger brother who has just passed his test. The trick is to buy a good one, look after it and never sell it! Now that I have been driving for 3 years I have been able to upgrade to an Audi - You just can't beat VAG cars!

Review Date: 7th June, 2008

1994 Volkswagen Golf CL 1.8 from UK and Ireland

Summary:

Great!

I need advice on this car! I love it! great drive, reliable, etc.

Had a starter motor a couple of months ago.

Condensation badly inside.

Back wiper if-y.

Lately when warm is sluggish so don't know if we should get another car or what~ told it could be a carburetor injection part of about 500 pounds!

Kimla_johnson@yahoo.co.uk.

General Comments:

Solid and sturdy car! Gorgeous to drive!

Review Date: 3rd February, 2007

1994 Volkswagen Golf CL 1.8 (90pk) from Netherlands

Summary:

Decent first car

Had a lot of work on this car, new gearbox, new front brakes, new clutch, new fuel pump.

Still, nothing too unexpected for a car near the 300000 km mark.

General Comments:

The car drives nicely. It's pretty good in the corners, and feels good to drive compared to the small cars I drove before (Ford Ka, Hyundai Atos).

Fuel consumption is a bit high (about 9-10 liters/km, 26mpg). I have a LPG-converted version, so it's not very expensive, and part of the high consumption may be caused by the conversion (quoted consumption is when running on petrol, it used 11 l/km on LPG).

Other than the high maintenance this is a pleasant and surprisingly fun car to drive, if a bit boring on the outside as well as the inside.

Review Date: 30th March, 2006

1994 Volkswagen Golf GLI 2.0 unleaded gasoline from United Arab Emirates

General Comments:

I have just got a VW Golf GLI 2.0 Litre. Driving the car is very pleasant and comfortable.

I have driven several cars from various manufacturers with engine capacities ranging from 1.8 to 2.4 litres. In all these cars I used to drive 80 Km/hr at 2000 rpm and 120 Km/hr at 3000 rpm. However when driving the Golf I noticed that when driving at 80 Km/hr the engine operates at 2500 rpm and when driving at 120 Km/hr the engine reaches 4000 rpm. I'm thinking that this rpm rate is a bit high and considering to take the car back to the dealer. Especially that the fuel consumption seems to be a little higher than expected from 2.0 litre engine.

I'm still not very familiar with VW and I'm wondering if this is normal for VW engines or it needs to be tuned up?

I wonder if any body else experienced the same thing?

Thanks.

Review Date: 26th November, 2005

15th Nov 2006, 20:17

The rpms that the engine turns while at a given speed have nothing to do with power or tuning, it has to do with gearing. That is simply the way that the car was made.