I would purchase this car over and over
Please take in the fact the car is approaching five years of age. And, I do race this car on a regular basis (legally)
1) MAF Failure- This is due to me trying to produce more power by tweaking stock parts. Causing the "check engine light" to come on. Nothing to stress over.
2) ASR Malfunction- This light came on at the same time the engine light came on. Still on as of today (October 13, 2007). I really haven't had time nor do I see a need to rush this repair, because the only effect is that I don't have to turn ASR off anymore. In other words I have no traction control, which I really have no use for.
3) Airbag- The air bag just came on a few days ago, as of October 13, 2007. I am having this checked out Monday. We shall see then.
4) Front Pads Worn- This light came on after replacing rear pads. I'm guessing this was triggered because of different thicknesses between front and rear pads. No big deal, changing them myself tomorrow.
5) Interior- A few minor plastic pieces have begun to come loose, but can be purchased for next to nothing. And, the driver's side stock Recaro race seat has a small split in the stitching. Once again, a do it myself project.
Knowing it is a 20th Anniversary Edition GTI is enough to make any owner smile. It is a very attractive car and is shown not only in appearance, but also in the heads it turns. The stock 1.8 liter, 4-cylinder, turbocharged, intercooled was quick to get my heart racing, but along with the APR stage III+ turbo upgrade kit (minus the intercooler upgrade), Greddy 28R front-mount intercooler kit, ECS Tuning XAS cold air intake system, HKS USA super sequential blow-off valve, Eurospec 069a adjustable cam sprocket, and oh so much more is enough to make a smile from ear to ear. To accommodate the risen power levels, one might want to add a performance brake system and drop the ride height about two inches, which I have also done. The stock aluminum block can handle much more performance than originally intended by the manufacturer. There is so much more to say, but as of now I have said enough. I can't see why people can hate these cars.
Would you buy another car from this manufacturer? Yes
Review Date: 13th October, 2007