2001 Volkswagen Jetta Reviews - Page 81 of 83

2001 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 2.0L 4 Cylinder from North America

Most recent year of ownership2002
Engine and transmission 2.0L 4 Cylinder Automatic
Previous carFord Escort

Summary:

Less problems with Ford

O2 Sensor (Front)

02 Sensor (Rear)

O2 Sensor (Front, again)

Starter

Evaporator Pump

Evaporator Lines

Rear Brakes

Mass Flow.

General Comments:

Check engine light comes on every two months like clockwork. I have owned the car for 14 months and it has been in for service at the dealership 6 times. Very disappointing for a $22K car that is billed as a work of "German Engineering". Car has a lot of problems that is shared with other Volkswagens (Beetle, Golf, etc.). Volkswagen has a lot of "bugs" to work out in their emissions systems.

Review Date: 2nd May, 2002

2001 Volkswagen Jetta GLX 2.8 from North America

Most recent year of ownership2002
Most recent distance22000 miles
Previous carVolvo 850

Summary:

Junk!

The font axel went bad @ 8,000 miles.

The gages in the dash went bad @ 11,000 miles.

Lights were dimming down real low when you brake or press the brake, it needed a new alternator @ 20,000 miles.

The car kills for no reason at all. This problem has not been fixed and has been going on since December of 2001.

The transmission feels like it slips around third gear. This problem has not been fixed and has been going on since December of 2001.

General Comments:

I am gettin a Attorney.

Review Date: 1st May, 2002

9th May 2002, 15:58

I have a 2001 Jetta too (Review is "Piece of Crap!"). The transmission slipping thing has happened to me and about 3 of my friends... Volkswagen says it is normal! What a joke! I drove with the service manager to show him the slipping and he said "Oh they all do that". Give me a break, it is dangerous and VW won't fix it!

1st Nov 2002, 14:09

We also have a 2001 Jetta and it lost power the other day. We went to the dealership and after much persistence they are replacing the transmission. Nice, a 2001 car with a new transmission and not to mention the new fron axle which they already replaced.

9th Dec 2002, 13:26

Take it to another dealer!

7th Jul 2003, 16:02

I have a 2000 Jetta GLX and it is a piece of junk! The transmission was bad when I first bought the car, so I had a loaner for about a month. I also have the front door handles on the inside pealing, the glovebox hinge broke, the passenger visor flap broke, and the center armrest latch broke. Also, the wood is braking and I need a new alternator (probably my fault because I have a stereo). The car has never seemed to shift well since I bought it, and the window kept breaking. I'm buying Japanese from now on!

2001 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 1.8T from North America

Most recent year of ownership2001
Engine and transmission 1.8T Manual
Previous carChevrolet Corsica

Summary:

A high performance bargain

The only thing that I do not like about the car is the fabric for the interior. The seats collect lint and dirt from everything. I wish I would have known this before I bought the car and spent the extra money to get the leather seats.

General Comments:

When I purchased the car the salesman talked up the service from the dealership, but when I tried to make an appointment for my first oil change it was a hassle and they had no weekend hours and the weekday hours were while I was working. The dealer then told me it was best to leave my car there all day. I just needed an oil change. I did not need to leave my car there for the entire day. I now have to go to another dealer closer to where I work and my first appointment was a hassle because I did not buy my car from them. They also have me leave my car for the whole day.

Other than the service from the dealership it is a great car. It drives very smooth and is quiet for a manual transmission. The car has a lot of trunk space. I also love the bright interior lights on the instrument panel.

Review Date: 12th January, 2002