2013 Volkswagen Jetta Reviews

First year of ownership2013
Most recent year of ownership2014
Engine and transmission 1.4 hybrid turbo Automatic
Previous carNissan Maxima

Summary:

Nice car, but not sure it was worth it

Both front doors rattle. They sound hollow and rattle when closed, no "VW thunk". The rear doors are fine. Also, my car has the Fender audio system with subwoofer. Any attempt at turning the radio up to a moderate volume (15-20) results in a vibration in the door that alters the sound of the music. I've tried turning the bass level down to +1. Any lower, and it may as well not have a subwoofer. The local dealer states "other Jetta's they compared it to sound the same." It doesn't mean it's right.

Fuel economy is not close to EPA estimate. It appears to me the hit comes in the "city" fuel economy. Part of this I attribute to the driving conditions in my area. It is somewhat rural with average main road speed limits of 50 MPH or higher. Accelerating to these speeds, then having to stop at a light, then repeat is part of the issue. However, I have noticed that it is VERY difficult to get the car to accelerate at all on battery. Even on slight down hill starts with the lightest throttle possible, the gas engine kicks in almost immediately. However, if I lock it in E-Mode with the button, it can accelerate on battery. I don't understand why the car can't do this on its own. I believe this also impacts the fuel economy.

General Comments:

Overall, it is a nice car. It's quiet, and rides and handles well. The rear seat is very roomy. Trunk space is not bad for a hybrid.

Power for a "economy" car is great. It's not a hot rod, but it does not lack power to pass when necessary.

I'm averaging 36-38 MPG per tank. EPA ratings are 42/48/45. I've only been able to get one tank average over 40 MPG. This combined with having to use Premium fuel removes the advantage of paying more for a hybrid in my opinion.

I could have bought a different car with more features and slightly lower fuel economy for less.

Review Date: 1st April, 2014

8th Apr 2014, 16:00

Mine is giving me above 42 MPG average or 480 miles per tank. I don't think that I paid any premium because it's a hybrid; I got it for $22500, which is the normal for a compact sedan. My only suggestion is look into buying a diesel VW. TDIs are as good on gas mileage as the hybrids.

2013 Volkswagen Jetta 2.0L TDI from North America

Model year2013
Year of manufacture2012
First year of ownership2013
Most recent year of ownership2014
Engine and transmission 2.0L TDI Automatic
Previous carMitsubishi Galant

Summary:

Jetta TDI - the best bang for your buck around

Nothing.

General Comments:

I've owned this car for about 5 months, and have put 14,000 on it. It has been worth every penny.

During the warmer months I was averaging 46-47 MPG, and now during the cold winter months, it's been getting 40-42.

No problems have arisen, and the car handles well, and it's very torquey and comfortable.

I would highly recommend this car to anyone, especially those who have long commutes.

Review Date: 10th January, 2014

11th Jan 2014, 06:11

Give it a chance, it's barely broken in, it will become a typical expensive to maintain VAG product.

14th Jan 2014, 16:18

Never had a problem with VW before. My first car was a 97 Jetta GT, with 130k before I sold it.

15th Jan 2014, 12:30

What, 14,000 miles in 5 months isn't nearly broken in enough?

6th Apr 2014, 17:51

Just hit 20k and still going strong. I've been averaging 43 MPG and it's only been getting better as it warms up. Such a great car.