1991 Volkswagen Passat GL from North America

Summary:

Money pit

Bought the car 3 days ago.

2 days ago the t/o bearing went.

Had to replace the whole clutch. Cost $1500.

Fuel pump also broken, $500 just for the part.

Comfortable car, handles smooth, but also notice blue smoke from the tailpipe.

Paid 2000$ for the car, had it for 3 days, and I've already paid for the car twice.

When I took it to the shops, no one wanted to work on it. Went to 10 mechanics in town, one shop had a 2006 and they couldn't figure out how to change the lights, and it was having problems.

I will never buy a Passat again.

General Comments:

The interior is in great condition.

The car handles well, but I've only had it for 3 days.

Review Date: 17th April, 2009

1991 Volkswagen Passat GL 2.0 16v from North America

Summary:

Bad decision, troubles from the start... If it starts

Automatic blew so we did a swap into a 5spd.

New clutch t/o bearing resurfaced flywheel, pressure plate.

Fuel filter needed replacing... led to more problems.

Front end plastic is extremely brittle resulting in going through front ends like crazy.

Rear brakes did not work.

E brake cables needed replacing.

Clutch master cylinder was shot.

Whole muffler was leaking.

Most vac lines needed replacing.

Original wiring is a mess left rear window is stuck up headlights would cause dash lights to go out.

Temp light flicks on and off randomly.

High beams will cause everything to shut off.

General Comments:

Although the car drove nice and handled well, I have been under it more than I have been driving it.

The wiring from the factory is a mess, and will strand you on the side of the road if you don't go through it.

After all the work I have done on it, it still only managed to get me 23mpg on premium and 19 on regular.

Review Date: 22nd November, 2008

1991 Volkswagen Passat 2.0 litre gas from North America

Summary:

Pretty car with a bad personality

Well now where do I start?

When I was taking delivery of the car, it was in getting a new water pump.

One hour after I got it, it would not start. The battery was dead.

Discovered it was a problem in the instrument panel with a broken wire. Solder fixed it.

Replaced the alternator.

Numerous problems with the temperature sensor.

Problems with broken wires that created drive-ability issues.

The car would run good for a day or two; sometimes even up to 3 weeks without breaking down.

Not something I would trust on a trip far from home.

New strut mounts.

The car would veer to right when decelerating.

Idling problems.

Starting problems.

Just a generally quirky car that I loved when it ran well, and hated when it didn't.

General Comments:

A super nice car to drive.

Lots of power, excellent handling, solid ride.

No rust, great looking body.

Good gas mileage; 25 MPG city.

Don't buy an automatic; they are ridden with problems.

If you don't have a good cheap Volkswagen mechanic that really knows these cars, don't buy one. Mine saved me probably thousands of dollars.

The interiors of these old Volkswagens are incredibly durable. Even after 15 years, the seats looked brand new. You would never find that in an American car.

My only regret is that I never had the guts to see how fast it could really go.

Review Date: 20th November, 2006

22nd Jul 2009, 14:31

Buy a speed boat and a cheap reliable car, instead. You'll thank my advice. If you feel like spending thousands of dollars on repairs for everything on the car, then buy a used one. Realize though, that most vehicles only last so long, and the Passat will be reliable for you a long time if you buy it "brand new".

1991 Volkswagen Passat GL 16v DOHC 2.0L from North America

Summary:

Poor man's Audi

Iratic idle, faulty speed sensor, rear brakes won't engage parking brake.

General Comments:

Being very leary of Passats, mostly because of their high initial purchase costs, vs the used car market costs today, (amazingly low) I happened to purchase this car from my brother last year. After sifting through a myriad of nuisance problems, I think that the car has finally achieved a baseline of reliability for me.

Performance-wise, the car is adequate. Around town it's quite sluggish, but out on the highway, where the 16V is allowed to breathe, it totes along well. The cabin is spacious, and the car is big by VW standards. (it took a while to adjust from my previous 1990 Jetta size) There is a lot of body roll, that can be quite unnerving to the uninitiated, while whizzing through s-curves.

This car is 15 years old now, and the body is immaculate, with only surface rust present on the trunk lid and fender edges, albeit this car has been regularly oiled. The frame rails and rocker panels are solid and free from rust. With regular maintenance (this is key) this car should serve well past its 20th birthday.

Review Date: 3rd November, 2006

9th Mar 2007, 14:03

Update!

After a further 3 months, I report that the car has sprung new problems, all of which have been detected by the VAG-COM scan. O2 sensor, and Idle stabilizer valve have proven defective and need replacing. Be warned when purchasing a VW that part costs are high, for example; O2 sensor-$190, ISV-$170...not including labour.