16th Jul 2016, 07:19

Thanks for commenting on my post. I wish I was joking about how uncomfortable it is, I hope it's only this particular model. Every VW I have driven has never had this problem, although the recipe has been changed with the introduction of the "ergocomfort" seat range being painfully unsupportive, with the headrest painfully far forward. It's strange because other 2016 cars I've driven have absolutely nailed something as simple as comfort. Although I may notice such things more since I do a 160 mile trip each day.

16th Jul 2016, 11:58

That's cool. I think I see what you mean now anyway - was in a friend's Mazda 6 at the weekend there, a modern one, and the head restraints were fixed. Comfortable enough, but they were non adjustable, which I see might be a problem if you don't like the set position. Heard modern Volvos and a few other manufacturers are the same, wonder why they don't let us adjust them anymore.

16th Jul 2016, 21:39

I noticed that forward-pushed headrest on a Hyundai ix35 (Tucson) too, very uncomfortable.

16th Jul 2016, 22:17

It's simple really and it's safety. All of my Volvo's have had fixed headrests (although they are very comfortable) and they are fixed to offer maximum whiplash protection. The problem with the titchy adjustable ones that most manufacturers have in their cars is that people DON'T adjust them correctly and if they have an accident, they are next to useless. If they are fixed then the chances are that they will work. Again, a very simple safety thing that Volvo started doing in the 70s and only just recently has everyone else started doing - BECAUSE IT WORKS! Admittedly, some manufacturers do seem obsessed with having them too far forward which can make them uncomfortable - which is plain silly.

19th Jul 2016, 07:17

The headrests in modern cars are angled forward to prevent whiplash. In the event of a rear-end collision, the inertia of the head causes it to accelerates backwards relative to the torso, which can lead to the backward snap and extension that causes whiplash. The forward angled headrest is intended to cause the head to accelerate forward in unison with the rest of the body to avoid this effect.

Where the headrest is adjustable, the top should at least level with the top of the driver's ears and preferably level with the top of the head. The headrest should reasonably close to the back of the head, and this may require angling the backrest into a more vertical position.