2007 Volkswagen Polo Reviews

2007 Volkswagen Polo Trendline 1.4 from South Africa

Model year2007
First year of ownership2009
Most recent distance101950 kilometres

The car would cut out when driving, and the km reading would reset by itself.

General Comments:

I had a problem where everything resets on the dashboard; even when I was driving, the car would cut out.

The Polo Trendline 1.4 is an awesome car to drive.

I took the car to an auto electrician, where they only replaced the battery terminals. Ever since, my car is driving perfectly with no problems.

Review Date: 22nd December, 2012

2007 Volkswagen Polo S 1.4 70PS turbo diesel from UK and Ireland

Model year2007
Most recent year of ownership2011
Engine and transmission 1.4 70PS turbo diesel Manual
Previous carVolkswagen Golf

Summary:

Economical, comfortable, reliable. An effortless car

In the time we have owned the car, two items have failed.

The first was a fault with the front suspension. The track road end failed and had to be replaced. At the same time, the dealer replaced the front bushes.

The second was a fault with one of the electric windows. The clutch that controlled the passenger window from the driver side failed, and had to be replaced.

General Comments:

We bought this car to replace a Golf GTI when Mum retired and needed her car less.

Whilst the performance is not earth shattering, it's quick enough, and quite punchy in the mid range.

The main benefit to this car has been the running costs. It seems to run on thin air. We recently drove the car to York and back to the Midlands (total mileage 282), and the fuel needle did not budge! Road tax costs £30 a year, and the servicing for the first three years was covered by a £250 service pack. Beyond that, the Volkswagen dealer offered another service pack for about £340, and this includes the MOT.

There was an issue regarding the service schedule; the supplying dealer set the car to Longlife when the plan was set to Time and distance. Watch this, as they made the same mistake on my car too. Be sure you tell the dealer which schedule you want your car set to, as VW customer services will not allow changes. In fact, the downside of the car has been the Customer Service. We have had problems with the original dealer, the suspension fault was reported to them, their technician told us the tyre pressures were low. Thankfully we took the car to another dealer, who identified the problem and rectified it.

The cabin is spacious, and we frequently use the car as a family runaround.

I think the seats could do with a bit more support, but Mum finds it very comfortable.

The Polo has served its purpose well, it requires little input from us between services, and has given us very little trouble.

Review Date: 1st February, 2011

2007 Volkswagen Polo TDI 1.9 'AXR' diesel SOHC 8v turbo from Australia and New Zealand

Model year2008
Engine and transmission 1.9 'AXR' diesel SOHC 8v turbo Manual
Previous carRenault Clio

The rear window demister stopped working, fixed immediately under warranty.

General Comments:

It is a very good family and economy hatchback.

Handling is above class average, let down by the cheap and nasty Continental ContiEcoContact economy rubber.

The 240Nm (177ftlb) torque hit at 1800rpm is excellent. And the economy (1000km to a tank) cannot be flawed.

Great car, but not one for a performance enthusiast.

Review Date: 1st July, 2009

20th Jan 2011, 08:01

My car just switched off. No electrical power to the dashboard, but do have power supply up to the dashboard. Absolutely every electrical part failed at once. VW SA can't diagnose my car for two days now and this is really mind bogling. I started to drive and turned into a parking space and it just cut out on me. All the gauges just froze where they were and are still in those positions.

If there is some one with any info about this problem, please help!

2007 Volkswagen Polo S 1.4 16v from UK and Ireland

Engine and transmission 1.4 16v Manual

Summary:

Lovely looking car, but constant problems

EPC light, engine emissions light and ABS lights randomly come up on the dashboard.

Car is now shuddering.

General Comments:

For about a year now, the ECP, ABS and engine emissions lights are constantly coming on and off on the dashboard. I have took it into my garage about 3 times, and they have said there is nothing wrong with the car!

Now my car has started shuddering whilst I am driving it, particularly after I change gear and when I slow down.

It seems that a lot of people who own Polos have been having these problems with the lights and shuddering. Does anyone know what is the cause!

Please help!!!

Review Date: 28th July, 2007

22nd Jan 2008, 09:32

I recently purchased a Polo 1.2SE registered in March 2007 and had similar problems to yourself. The temperature coolant warning light came on, then went off and came back on again, sometimes even when starting up on a morning. The dealer changed the Coolant Levels and said it was now fine. Well it wasn't. Back in it went, they couldn't find anything wrong, I told them that quite clearly there was and I was not taking it back until the problem was rectified. After further tests it was discovered there was a fault in the dash panel, which was replaced. Two weeks later and it fingers crossed all seems OK. You could try mentioning this to them, it's worth a go.

5th Jul 2009, 18:08

Again. As I have said many times on this forum. Avoid VW. Great cars but crap reliability and dealer service. Just got my car back from my dealer today after its' fourth warranty claim in seven months. They damaged it, (scratched bumper and wing). They offered me a free car wash!!! Say no more... Never again. I can hear a Honda calling...

23rd May 2012, 09:34

I also had it before, and replaced the throttle body on the intake, and then it was just fine.