1987 Volkswagen Scirocco from North America

Summary:

I only wish it could be brand new again.

General wear and tear maintenance things: brakes, brake-lines, springs, shocks, gas tank was a recall and fixed at no charge by dealer. I drove the car every winter but three in Michigan and Maine and am paying the price for that, since it is a rust bucket even tho it is in mechanically excellent shape. The brights indicator went a long time ago and would cost $2 but tons of labor so I live without that. Mechanically it has been wonderful.

General Comments:

The car drives like a dream and kicks butt on passing and cornering.

It is fun to drive and has held up everywhere but rust-wise.

Review Date: 1st September, 2008

1987 Volkswagen Scirocco 16V 1.8 PL from North America

Summary:

Classic VW, Blast to drive !!

I Picked up this little jewel on Ebay and drove it home from LA to Las Vegas. The timing belt broke in my driveway when I got home from the 4.5hr drive and bent 8 intake valves. This Scirocco 16v must have know that I was going to take her apart and rebuild.

General Comments:

Total blast and a fun toy! I love kicking some Civic A$$ at red lights. I like the fact that Kids and Adult kids still drooool over this car from time to time.

Review Date: 9th July, 2007

11th Mar 2010, 14:06

I had a 86 VW Scirocco; the motor mount some how cracked the chassis???

1987 Volkswagen Scirocco 16V 1.8 16v from North America

Summary:

Reliable-but-finicky

Bought it with leaking head-gasket and OVER-HEATING problem in 2006. But I wanted it... no head warpage, no block warpage, just elbow grease and a Bentley Manual. This car was from Long Island NY and has more than 175,000 miles, maybe 200,000 - odometer stopped working around 1992. Replaced all sensors in head to make sure. New water-pump, alternator, and Timing BELT. All electrical grounds OK and checked. Transmission OK with slight grind into 2nd.

General Comments:

Pretty agile, not too much faster than my '91 8V GTI. But, you can't beat 7200 RPM and the build quality. My sport seats are not worn, no interior deterioration, just worn-in and comfy. Couple oil leaks and you have to monitor everything mechanical for possible break-down and/or trouble- like any 19 year old car. Been my DailyDriver since 5/06, nothing serious since. Monitor engine temp and oil leaks, otherwise, not much diff from any other 75-92 watercooled.

Review Date: 5th June, 2007

1987 Volkswagen Scirocco 1.8 16v from North America

Summary:

I will never sell this car

I have had to replace a few fuel injection sensors on the engine. This has been more precautionary than anything else (not trusting 18 year-old sensors). The exhaust has broken welds twice.

General Comments:

Having always owned old Detroit muscle, I decided to give in to my fiance who is a Volkswagen "nut".

I have been pleasantly surprised with the performance.

Gas mileage ranges from 33 to 34 MPG in mixed driving. Not bad for a car of its age.

I always get a laugh out of parts store employees who have no idea what a Scirocco is.

Review Date: 17th August, 2005

19th Aug 2005, 02:12

You could fit a VR6 engine in your little Scirocco. Do that and you can smoke anyone in a 2001 Civic who thinks your car is junk.. we'll see who's laughing then. Plus, who wants to be driving the same car you see everyone else in at a stoplight? Not me!

24th Jan 2006, 05:04

Kids are kids... you can usually tell by the exhaust if it's a kid or not... these with the 130HP cars with the exhaust sounding like some cheap noise kill me...oh, but I have NOS lol... come on get a grip... might even be a nice car, but cheap cheap and cheap as hell.

1987 Volkswagen Scirocco Scala 1.8 from UK and Ireland

Summary:

A great car to drive if you find a good one, looks better then the Golf as-well!

This car has been really solid from the day I bought it.

The main things that have gone wrong are, The cam-belt needed changing last service.

The drivers side leather seat is wearing.

There is an occasional ticking noise from the tappets when started from cold (common problem apparently).

Apart from that it's bean solid.

General Comments:

I'm a student in Wales University, but live in London so I do a 220 mile return journey at least once a month. I do an average of about 70-80mph all the way without stopping and the engine doesn't complain. It seems to use very little water and oil as well.

The fuel economy around town is dreadful, but it only costs me £17 in fuel to do my 220mile journey which is less than my 1.3 Polo I used to have.

I bought my car with a full Volkswagon service history, leather seats, TSW alloys, Janspeed exhaust, Webber Carb, lowered 40mm, drilled disc's, and with low mileage so it cost more than most Sirocco's. Mines also white and I would go out on a limb and say its probably the best looked after Sirocco in the country (maybe). All this means I get some looks in it, some don't know what they are, and some even compare them to the JMC Delorian which is always good.

Review Date: 19th April, 2004