1987 Volkswagen Scirocco GTX 1.8i from UK and Ireland

Summary:

My favorite car to date and I have had a few

The radiator had to be replaced, original lasted well!

Electrical fault, lights went out without warning. Not good at night.

Oil pump warning, pump had stopped working again because of an electrical fault.

General Comments:

With very few problems I can't fault the car.

The car is fairly fast and handles twisty roads extremely well.

There is a fair bit of noise, in comparison to modern cars, from the engine but not enough to feel uncomfortable.

The interior is dated, but with a bit of trademarked cleaners, it will look good.

Doesn't like rear passengers, unless they are vertically challenged!

Fuel economy (about 25 miles per gallon) is good.

Review Date: 9th April, 2004

1987 Volkswagen Scirocco Scala 1.8 from UK and Ireland

Summary:

Generally good apart from some problems

The car is very unreliable as when I first had the car it needed a few things, the wheel came off whilst going down the motorway and the car stutters and jumps. The carburettor has been replaced with a Webber carburettor. If anyone has had this problem before could you please e-mail me on maniac56k@hotmail.com or post another message regarding this one.

General Comments:

This car is fairly quick and will keep up and beat most cars on the road still.

Review Date: 23rd March, 2004

1987 Volkswagen Scirocco Scala 1.8 from UK and Ireland

Summary:

An 80's Coupe for

Split CV boot.

Corroded brake line.

Worn top suspension mounts.

Hole in edge of driver's seat (Performance VW trait)

General Comments:

I bought this car just before Christmas for £150 without any Tax or MOT, but it was in fairly good condition for the age despite minimal maintenance with the previous owners. This is obviously a testament to the original build quality of the vehicle. The work to get through the MOT cost less than £30, and was fiddly rather than difficult.

Lack of rear space is of no concern, because the charm of the Scirocco is from the driver's seat. I drive the car, I am not driven around in it.

The performance is on a par with my friend's Modified MkII Golf GTi, but the handling is, even in standard form, FAR superior.

Running costs so far have been minuscule, with general fuel economy being better than that of my previous car, a 1.0i Polo.

I will not sell this car in a hurry!

Review Date: 9th January, 2003

1987 Volkswagen Scirocco 8V 1.8L 8v from North America

Summary:

A nimble little econo-pocket rocket

I have had very few problems with my Scirocco. The fuel tank was leaking when it was above 1/2 full. After some haggling and running around, I got a dealer to replace the whole tank for free under a recall. The hardest part was finding a dealer that was willing to do it. I offered one guy some money under the table, and then once the keys were in my hands, asked him what kind of fruit basket he wanted. VW of America informed me that these dealers are under contract to do these types of jobs.

Currently I think I need a new ignition switch, new relay for the rear wiper and maybe a better ground cable for the battery.

The mods that I have installed include the following :

4 to 2 exhaust manifold from an MK1 Rocco.

Tech Tonics dual down pipe, catback 2 inch exhuast, & DynoFlow muffler.

14 inch GTI *snowflake* wheels (stock was 13in.)

Euro headlights (so much brighter)

Momo steering wheel and hub.

Kamei golf ball shift knob.

Just got a new suspension too, but went the more economical route. I put KYB gas shocks and left the original stock springs.

General Comments:

I love this car.

It drives like a dream and is perfect for NYC. Parking is easy to find and it doesn't look too attractive to a thief. I gotta get a low temp fan switch because it gets hot in stop & go traffic during the steamy Summertime jams.

The body is pretty clean too with just a couple of minor rust spots.

Review Date: 4th January, 2003