2009 Volkswagen Scirocco Review

First year of ownership2009
Most recent year of ownership2011
Engine and transmission 2.0 TSI 200PS turbo petrol Manual
Previous carVolkswagen Lupo

Summary:

Great car let down by the customer service of Volkswagen UK

The only problem has been the service plan. The car has been faultless.

General Comments:

The car is brilliant.

The cabin has space for four, and is comfortable for all.

The handling is excellent, and the suspension can be tuned to suit the road that you are traveling along. So when you want it to be comfortable, it can be.

The rear visibility is not great, I would certainly recommend the parking sensors!

Mine is returning around 38mpg, which is OK considering the performance.

Sadly the ownership of this fantastic car is blighted by Volkswagen UK Customer Services and their colleagues at VWFS.

I bought the car outright, but the dealer recommended a service plan. We discussed the service options; Longlife, where the car can travel for up to two years without service. Alternatively VW offer time and distance, here the car is serviced every year or 10000 miles. I asked the dealer to set my car to time and distance, despite anticipating a higher mileage. The dealer explained that I would pay more for the service plan, but I felt that this was a safer option, considering the car is sporty. I think the car needs more frequent oil changes than 24 months. The service plan was set up, and I was told when the car requests a service, simply take it to the nearest dealer, and they will service it, you won't need to pay. I took the car to the dealer after a year when the service indicator requested it. An hour later, the dealer telephoned to advise that Volkswagen refused to foot the bill, and so the car was not going to be serviced. I called VW Customer services, who passed me to Volkswagen Financial Services. They offered no assistance, simply telling me the car was wrong, and their computer was right. They could have the car "put right", but I did not want LONGLIFE SERVICING!!! I told them that I would not use the car until the problem was sorted.

I telephoned the supplying dealer. The dealer principal contacted Volkswagen. They told him that despite the brochure stating that they offer you the choice, they decided that as my mileage was anticipated to be over 10000 miles, they had decided it was going on Longlife. After much arguing, they finally admitted they were wrong, but rather than simply correcting the mistake, they issued a refund. This took three months to sort out.

If you decided to buy any Volkswagen, I would avoid Volkswagen Financial Services at all costs; they are rude. Unhelpful. Useless. They let the brand down badly. I have been a Volkswagen fan for over 20 years, and this debacle has actually made me doubt if I would buy another.

Volkswagen recently stated that they wanted to be the number one car manufacturer in the world. They want to top JD Power. I offer this advice from the point of view of your customer. Your cars are great, but sort the customer service.

Review Date: 1st February, 2011

29th Jan 2012, 11:07

For the same reason, I never opt for any extra services from car manufacturers or dealers.

Average review marks: 9.8 / 10, based on 1 review