1984 Volvo 240 Reviews

Year of manufacture1984
First year of ownership1997
Engine and transmission Six cylinder diesel Automatic
Previous carChevrolet Corsica

Really nothing unusual. Normal maintenance.

General Comments:

I believe that Volvo was preparing for the next world war with this car. Literally, it is built like a tank.

I love this car. I feel safe in it. I also don't worry when my wife drives alone on the 401. If someone were to cut her off, I would feel sorry for the recipient if she were to plow into them.

The car handles like a dream, and I am a previous classic Cadillac owner. Volvo should take pride in producing such a lovely car. I keep the rust off of it, being from Ontario where they salt the roads here like there is no end to salt.

I also maintain the car. I don't dote on it though, like waxing and shining, though it surely deserves it because it has great lines.

I change the oil every 3,000 kilometers and seasonal (spring and fall) as the engine pounds the oil to death with its high compression and cool running condition. With the oil changed, the engine purrs like a kitten, and when it gets up to 80 - 120 Km/h, I love listening to it.

I have always wanted to install the leather seats that were in my 1978 Seville, because they would go nicely with the car. God, they were heaven.

Review Date: 14th April, 2010

3rd Jun 2012, 16:34

I am considering buying a car like this soon, could we talk? At least exchange emails?

1984 Volvo 240 GL B23E 2.3 litre from Australia and New Zealand

Model year1984
Year of manufacture1984
First year of ownership1999
Engine and transmission B23E 2.3 litre Automatic
Previous carVolvo 242

Summary:

Best car ever!

Timing belt broke, was 200,000kms overdue for replacement. "Non-interference" engine means no damage done. New belt was under AUS$30 and took an hour to fit.

Main fuel pump died. Made lots of warning noises before stopping.

In-tank pump died. Does not stop the car, but the fuel tank cannot be run down below about a quarter of a tank.

Driver's seat sagged out. A large chunk of foam jammed under it made it more comfortable than when new.

Air con not working since before purchase.

Heater fan died.

Metallic paint now in poor condition (has not been garaged since 1997 at the latest).

Automatic transmission developed a leak on the extension housing. I got lazy with topping it up and allowed it to run low on fluid - now it is reluctant to engage top (4th) gear. Hurts fuel economy more than comfort.

General Comments:

This car has been used and abused. It's towed rally cars and dirt bikes around the country side, it's chased rally cars down rough dirt roads, it's been used as a ute (engines and gearboxes in the back), and it's been a model of reliability, despite the very high mileage.

Both times that it's stopped (timing belt and fuel pump) could have easily been avoided with some precautionary maintenance.

The cylinder head has never been removed - most 240s will blow a head gasket at around 250,000 to 300,000kms but this one has escaped.

Around town it feels a bit sluggish and ungainly, but above ~80kph it suddenly makes a lot of sense.

Handles remarkably well, if you allow for the body roll. Finds traction in mud/snow when others cannot.

Brakes are excellent, even by new car standards.

Very easy to work on for a DIYer. Be aware that many Volvo specialists will charge ridiculous prices for parts and labour - shop around! Parts can be had cheaply in Australia and/or the Internet, and there are plenty of highly competent mechanics who don't over-charge (the only difficulty is finding them, but that applies for all cars nowdays!).

Also be aware that reviews of USA cars don't really apply to Australian cars - we had different suspension and different engines.

Easily the best car I've ever owned (and I've owned plenty!).

Review Date: 21st October, 2008