1992 Volvo 240 2.3 from North America

Summary:

Sucked

This car sucked.

Loved the ride and handling and did great in the snow.

Loved the styling.

It was in the shop every 3-4 months.

I bought it because it was supposed to be reliable. Not so much.

Parts were expensive.

Review Date: 7th April, 2008

23rd Apr 2008, 12:40

Humm...

100K in 4 years on a auto that had 145K to start with?? That's a lot of driving for an older car.

At that level of usage, you should expect to put some time into the car. I suppose most of these little runs to the shop could have been fixed by you the owner for half the cost and time. Research your next purchase wisely!

4th Sep 2009, 21:35

Yes, sounds a bit unfair. That's a lot of miles and you don't know how the last owner treated it.

1992 Volvo 240 2.3-liter 4-cylinder engine from North America

Summary:

VOLVO For LIFE

Ignition contact switch went out at 155,000.

Headlight relay went out at 158,000.

General Comments:

This car is way better then my 89 Civic hatch. I love how it keeps up on the freeway, but best of all, Cops let you drive by when your hitting 90 mph because it's a Volvo. The car is in perfect shape from a little TLC when I got it. Car looks brand new inside and out. Best investment I've ever made.

Review Date: 1st December, 2005

1992 Volvo 240 GL from North America

Summary:

We love this car

Needs a new battery, and am getting one this weekend.

We will put the radio back to a Volvo standard, as the current radio isn't as good.

Original Volvo radio speakers are fizzling out, and we'll replace those.

We'll pull the bumper back out, as the previous owner probably backed into something.

We will replace the driver's seat, as the stuffing and support has gone out of this seat (a 300 lb. man reportedly drove this car for years).

Otherwise, routine maintenance and repair... very normal for this year of car.

General Comments:

I'm giggling with glee as I type this. This is my husband's chosen "hobby car," and he's always wanted a 240, as he had one when he was younger (a 79). This one is exceptional, and for less than a thousand USD, we couldn't pass this near perfect car up. In our part of the USA, this car would run 2K-3K.

The price alone is something to just crow about.

However, the turning radius on this car is outstanding... better than our 940GLE and 740 Turbo Intercooler.

The safety? Outstanding. We are wrapped in steel, and feel very secure.

This car accelerates very nicely onto the interstate, and pulls hills well.

The interior is simplistic and minimal, and suits us just fine.

We are very impressed with the heater on the car, as we are on all of our Volvos.

If anyone knows of a 1992 or 1993 240 for sale, buy one. You will rarely be disappointed. Volvo finished up the series of this wonderful "Swedish Tank" in 1993, and it's a very simple work of art. Very safe, very heavy, very timeless art.

I sure wish Ford would make a "retro 240" like VW has remade the Bug so successfully.

The one caveat? You have to love Volvos, and we certainly do.

Review Date: 7th October, 2005

8th Oct 2005, 10:18

Agree with everything except the part about the acceleration.

240's may be safe, but they are bog-slow.

1992 Volvo 240 2.3L 4 Cylinder from North America

Summary:

The best car this side of the Arctic Circle!

I had very few tremendous problems with my beloved 240. Considering his age and mileage he performed quite admirably.

About a week after I bought the car the timing belt broke and left me stranded on the side of the road. It was fairly expensive to replace, but because I loved the car so much it was worth the strain on my student budget.

Part of the exhaust/muffler had to be replaced... dealer told me it had been improperly done some time before.

Replaced front wheel bearings.

One of the most annoying problems I had was the heat shield, which I was told most cars didn't even have anymore in the early 90's when the car was built. So here's the story... part of my heat shield became loose and rattled VERY loudly. I was told that it could be removed, but that this was an expensive process... so I decided I could live with the rattle.

The only other thing was the persistent Swedish electrical gremlins, which I attributed to charming Volvo quirks... I could count on brake light/taillight bulbs blowing out at least once a month.

The transmission was fine and I never had a single problem with the engine.

General Comments:

As far as I'm concerned the Volvo 240 series was one of the safest, best built cars on the planet. Their charming stodginess and loyalty has endeared them to the hearts of many a weary traveler, mine included.

The driving experience: Driving my 240 was a combination of bliss and frustration. One feels a sense of solidity and utter safety when behind the wheel of an esteemed 240. The well weighted steering, excellent braking, and overall solid feel of the car inspire confidence and, I dare say, a feeling of invincibility.

The frustration came in the unwillingness of the car to accelerate much faster than a snail. Not to smite the 240's reputation in the least... remember, I loved this car. But the 2.3 liter 4 cylinder struggled against the 3,000lbs of Swedish steel it tried to propel, with only 114 HP. It was, however, one of the smoothest 4 cylinders I've ever driven. But yes, keeping up on the highway was always a bit more of an issue than I would have preferred.

Inside: The interior was mostly clean and rattle free. I did get the common dashboard cracks and broken front door pockets, which a little tape took care of. The seats were firm and comfortable and the tan cloth upholstery held up very nicely, although it showed dirt rather easily.

I loved my 240 dearly and was shattered when I had to part with it... I was broadsided in an intersection, but I walked away without a scratch. My beloved Volvo protected me to the very end!

Review Date: 22nd September, 2004

24th Feb 2005, 01:10

Thank you for promoting your 240 to ever needed job of providing spare parts. My '89 wagon has 315000 miles and is still going strong. Got Parts?

17th Jan 2006, 13:43

I live in Hungary and I have a Volvo 240 GLE D6 with 6 cylinders and it is running very well after 165.000 kms without repairing or changing anything on it. the best car type with the best feeling of driving it.

It is from 1984 and has all the extras what you couldnt expect from new famous and expensive cars.

The old Swedish tanks just keep on rolling. Bye. IVAN.

19th Sep 2007, 13:03

We bought our 1992 240 in 1991. At that time I felt the car was a little too conservative. However, after 16 years I have more than grown to love this car. It has never had any real problems... just regular maintenance type stuff. I recently stepped back and noticed that several little things were broken, i.e., clip holding the sun visor, center console, passenger door pocket, etc. I had every little thing fixed and then I spent an entire weekend cleaning the inside. It is now just like brand new. What is so amazing is that the paint job is still the best of any car on the road. Our 240 is black and the color is still very shiny and deep looking. I don't think they paint cars like that anymore. I am very proud to drive this beautiful car.

9th Dec 2010, 15:32

Thanks to all who have left comments on the fantastic 240!! I had survived a near head on collision in my 1992 Toyota p/u, and decided to purchase a safe reliable car. A dealer had a pristine 93 240 come in the day of my accident. It was love at first sight! I call him "Sven". It is actually fun to work on. To those who complain about poor performance - hint - change the fuses, plugs, cap, rotor and wires!

I added a K&N air filter; runs like brand new, and looks it at 205k miles. I don't care for the 850's, S70s etc, but love the 240!