Cheap, reliable, fast. Why ask for more?
- Nothing major as of yet - however I only bought it 4 days ago.
- It leaks a bit of something oily in the morning - however there is always only one drop and we think it might be from the gearbox.
- Coming home recently, the gearbox would not engage into gear. When it eventually did, the car ran extremely rough. After five minutes, the car ran fine again till I got home.
We think this problem might have been due to the reverse gear lock malfunctioning and locking the gearbox.
- The left hand rear seatbelt is terrifically reluctant to engage. It is stuffed.
- It idles both highly and a little roughly - this is nothing cleaning the points and plugs and changing the leads can't fix.
- This is an absolutely spectacular car. It is built like a tank. I feel very safe in it both as a driver and a passenger.
- Don't ever let anyone tell you this car is slow. The 2.3L engine goes like the clappers and accelerates like a dream, in the manual at least. It also has a go forever reputation, and I can testify for that so far.
- Economically wise, I can't complain. It is a family car, so consumption figures of around 10L/100km for city cycle and around 9-9.5L/100km highway is not to be sneezed at for a car this size. With prices at what they are, it takes around $50 to fill a tank.
- It is a good learning car. I found the clutch to be nice and light, as was the accelerator. Four wheel discs stop the car in a hurry.
- The lack of power steering is noticeable, but not annoying.
- I would recommend it as a first car, second car or family car for anyone who is seeking it - a reputation I am sure Volvo drivers everywhere could testify for.
Would you buy another car from this manufacturer? Yes
Review Date: 23rd December, 2007