1989 Volvo 740 Reviews - Page 5 of 13

1989 Volvo 740 GL 2.3L B230F from North America

Model year1989
Engine and transmission 2.3L B230F Manual
Distance when acquired352000 kilometres

Summary:

I love this car

Water pump needed to be replaced when first bought.

New Rear axle exhaust pipe.

New resonator (also known as first muffler).

New custom done headliner.

New hood (people dented up the old one).

General Comments:

Very, very reliable and rugged car. I've gone into a ditch at 50km/h backwards, and once I was towed out, started up right away, no damage except a little rocker panel dent. Made it out where 4-wheel drive vehicles mainly go.

Fully loaded tank. Power everything except sunroof.

Love this car, big and roomy and not too hard on gas.

Review Date: 2nd April, 2006

1989 Volvo 740 GLE 2.3 from UK and Ireland

Year of manufacture1989

Summary:

Great little car!

General Comments:

If I had to recommend it to anyone I would and I have if you think the same please leave your comment.

Review Date: 2nd April, 2006

7th Mar 2010, 04:59

Apart from the car's droopy roof lining, it is quite an astonishingly excellent motor car.

1989 Volvo 740 Turbo 2.3 turbo Four Cylinder from North America

Model year1989
Engine and transmission 2.3 turbo Four Cylinder Automatic
Previous carAudi 100

Summary:

Great machine, and its pretty quick for something with the aesthetic befitting a tool shed!

So far since the purchase, the car has required a new fuel pressure regulator, as well as a replaced Air Mass Meter. Both repairs were quite inexpensive, and were done quickly by reputable Volvo mechanics. Electrically there are a few gremlins which make their presence known every once an a while (i.e horn decides to not work every once an a while, random warning lights may flicker while driving around turns) Interior headliner has gone the way of many Volvo's, in that it has sagged, and in some places has come completely off of the board it was tacked onto. Not a problem though, as it takes only a few hours, and a few bucks to have it entirely replaced. The car seems to have a rare rust problem along the door seems, and the drivers door window frame. I have only seen this issue on a few other 700 series Volvo's, however 17 years of Canadian winters will have their effect on anything, so I cannot fault the car for the rust issue.

General Comments:

I haven't even owned the car for an entire year, and can honestly say that I will more than likely purchase another Volvo product again, and again after that as well. This car has been a safe, quick and comfortable performer that has been great for use to haul my friends and I around to work or anywhere else. It's held up well for the 16 years prior to my ownership, and takes on the mileage very well for its age. Apart from the rust on the exterior of the car, it still looks fantastic when its detailed. The interior is in immaculate condition, not even suffering from the common plastic cracks, and torn seats of typical 80's Volvo's.

The car has never left me stranded, and has never cost me more than what should be expected of a 17 year old car. Many people discredit Volvo's over maintenance costs, however if you pay attention to the upkeep of your car, and find yourself a great independent Volvo mechanic, the repair costs can be kept low, while you still rack on the mileage.

I'd love to keep the car long enough to see 500,000KM on the odometer, but I think I'll treat myself to a newer model sometime in the near future. However, being 18 years old, it's still nice to be able to have so many power features on my first real car. The heated seats even work too!

Overall the Volvo 740 Turbo is a great car to own. While its not the cheapest car to keep around, it is still a solid performer, with decent fuel economy, not to mention great safety and durability. An excellent starter car for any teen, as long as they like their cars boxy!

Review Date: 27th March, 2006

1989 Volvo 740 GLE 2.3i from UK and Ireland

Engine and transmission 2.3i Manual

Summary:

Great. Heavy on fuel, but the 2.3 engine is powerful enough to cope with everyday driving

Two new front tyres fitted when I got the car.

Fuel gauge wasn't working (a common problem on the 740's), so a new fuel tank sender was fitted. This made the fuel gauge respond, but still is nowhere near accurate, so it's going into the garage to be fixed this month. Also a slight fuel leak has now been fixed.

Heater didn't blow warm air - thermostat replaced.

One dashboard bulb blew - cost me £1.80 to fix!

Might need exhaust fixing at some point for this years MOT, there's a lot of rubbish coming out of it at the moment.

General Comments:

Well I didn't have much use for one of these (I already own a Honda Civic Type R), but I thought I'd purchase it for the winter to save wear and tear on my Honda, but since getting it, I'm thinking of ditching the astronomical running costs of the Honda and keeping the Volvo full time!

This car has the four speed manual box, with overdrive, making long cruising a joy. Once out onto the road, I realised just how comfy the interior was. It's a beige coloured full leather interior, with both seats at the front, being heated as well (and still working after all this time!). So out on the road, it was great. Very relaxed cruising, with no effort, and power steering to boot, making it a real joy to drive. The turning circle is simply astounding, making parking at work a joy rather than a hard task.

It's pretty fast too. I hit the overdrive button in fourth and floored it. It hit 100 with ease, and you wouldn't think, given the fantastic condition, that it's covered 138,000 miles (which is nothing for one of these).

Even though I'm still having a bit of trouble with the fuel gauge, I'm not that bothered, although it would be nice to have it working. I normally fill up after 150-180 miles anyway.

The only other costs have been fuel (not amazing on fuel, but then it is pretty heavy!), and service items (got a friend to service it for me, parts were £24 - that's for spark plugs, oil, oil filter etc etc) so if maintained yourself, it can be pretty cheap.

The main thing that drew me to buy the car in the first place, was the initial cost of the car - £100. That's it! I thought for that price, I can't go wrong, and indeed I haven't. It's FANTASTIC! I've not owned it long, but it's not let me down yet!!

For those that need help and advice on ANY Volvo, the owners club here: http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/ is a wonderful source of information!

Long live my 740GLE.

Review Date: 9th March, 2006

20th Jun 2006, 18:52

I just completed a 1,200 mile round trip to le mans and back for the 24 hour race. The car got me there with no fuss, and I got 320 miles to a tank at pretty high constant speeds through france. Amazing. Now on 142,000 miles.

26th Jun 2007, 15:41

Second Le Mans trip just completed, this time with a caravan in tow!

Mileage now is 152,000. Still no problems to report!

6th Dec 2008, 21:57

Mileage now 167,000. Still nothing gone wrong apart from having to tighten the power steering belt with a spanner a few weeks ago!

Fuel pump starting to whine when below half a tank, so that might not have too long left (12 months?). Also have an LPG kit for it sat in the garage. Will update when that's installed. Still bulletproof!