1993 Volvo 850 Reviews - Page 8 of 8

1993 Volvo 850 GLT 2.4 N/A from North America

Year of manufacture1993
Engine and transmission 2.4 N/A Manual

Summary:

It's a great first car

Some problems I have had with this car is that occasionally, a valve will stick, but that is pretty common in 850's. also recently I had to have my clutch rebuilt and resurfaced, but now, the clutch works great. another thing that is a problem with this car (not to big a deal for some people) is that there aren't many upgrades for it.

General Comments:

This car handles great stock. add some new springs and shocks, and a strut bar, and its amazing. its pretty quick for a NA engine, I have added a few things to it such as a new exhaust system and a better air filter. these things really help the performance of the car. I reccomend this car to anyone getting it for a first car, its safe, and reliable, and it gets really great gas mileage.

Review Date: 26th February, 2003

1st Mar 2003, 03:58

I have read somewhere,a Volvo users page, that Mobil 1, is good to use because it is thinner than other oils.

31st Jan 2004, 03:27

Also try Castrol GTX Magnetex 5w-30 as used in Ford Zetec engines which are also known to have sticking valves.

1993 Volvo 850 GLT 2.0 20V from UK and Ireland

Year of manufacture1993
Engine and transmission 2.0 20V Manual
Previous carVauxhall Vectra

Summary:

This car feels like I will last Forever!

One bulb has needed replacing. That's it.

General Comments:

Excellent so far in the month I have had it!

I can't compare this car to my previous Vauxhall Vectra as it's just impossible, the Volvo 850 superseeds it in every way. I bought the car from a friend who had had it from new without any problems AT ALL and has full service history.

I am quite a high mileage driver, mostly motorway driving, and the 850 is excellent and very comfortable.

It has reasonably good acceleration for a car weighing nearly 2 tons with a 2LTR engine, but from 60 on-wards it fly's.

It is built like a tank, but also quite sporty to drive which was a welcome surprise.

Finish and build is the best I've seen, just watch out for front tire wear, you'll get about 8-10,000 from the front ones, and it does pay to get good rubber, I use Continental Eco-Contact.

Overall and excellent buy for me, I had a unreliable V plate Vectra that was in the garage more than I was driving it, got a loan of the Volvo and well bought it!

Review Date: 23rd January, 2003

1st Mar 2003, 10:13

I have now covered more than 15,000 miles since I got this car and completed a 1200 mile round trip in days and completely and utterly without fault.

To date I have replaced 2 rear tyres, had the car serviced which showed nothing wrong. I have changed the oil with Mobil 1 fully synthetic oil to pro-long engine life further, biggest benefit is although the engine purred away before it is noticeably quieter and smoother.

Average fuel consumption is 32.8 mpg which is impressive I think, although it was 30.6mpg before I put the Mobil 1 oil into the engine.

The car has now covered 116,565 miles and is still in perfect condition.

I recommend these cars to anyone, fuel consumption might be a little higher, but you won't get any other faults.

30th Jan 2004, 10:54

Please can you give me your honest evaluation for fuel consumption on this particular model, as I drive 500km on motorways every week, and the conflicting reviews on fuel consumption are not very helpful to a potential purchaser of a 1993 850 GLT.

Many thanks in advance.

Christian DODD.

13th Jun 2006, 16:41

I have just purchased a very fine looking 850 GLT 2 ltr, 1994 but looks almost new. 97,000 warranted miles drives OK, but my other car is a BMW so performance is not the biggest point, but I did not buy it for that.

Here is the problem - a whine noise that seems to come from clutch area. When you press clutch pedal, it changes pitch. Any comments would be grateful.

Peter.

25th Jul 2009, 03:15

I'm going to travel 2000 miles total (there and back). My mom is telling me my car will make there, but it may not make it back, and I want to know from someone who knows a lot about cars, if it can travel that far and still run good after, because I go to two different schools and I really need this car. It has 166000 miles on it, and it has had a new transmission put in it. Thank you very much.