1993 Volvo 940 Reviews

First year of ownership2010
Distance when acquired196000 miles
Most recent distance206500 miles
Previous carNissan Sentra

Summary:

Safe, comfortable, reliable

About a month after I bought the car the car wouldn't start, had to have it towed, was a fuel pump $650. The fuel gauge works on occasion, but I go by miles; sometimes if I tap the glass covering the speedometer, it works.

General Comments:

I bought this car from the original owner here in San Francisco. Car came with all service records, very well maintained. Every oil change cost them $160 each time! I commute a lot, from San Francisco to Morgan Hill every day, 750 miles every week. It's been great, no problems with all the driving, not to mention all the stop and go in the city. Have put 10k in 3 months, freezing A/C and great heat. When I moved, I fit a huge amount of stuff in this car. Sturdy. The engine does go through oil, a quart every couple weeks or so, which is to be expected.

What I'm not crazy about is lousy fuel economy. I knew it wasn't great when I bought it, but now that I commute, it's very expensive, especially having to use premium. Also it's so sluggish, if I hit the gas hard it moves fast, but I don't like to do that often.

Review Date: 5th December, 2010

1993 Volvo 940 Turbo Plus from Sweden

Engine and transmission Manual
Previous carVolvo 245

Summary:

Best car in the world!

None. Replaced the fan belt. Took 20 minutes on the parking place. Used to drive a Jaguar - took two hours to change the fan belt, with the car in a garage and on a jack.

General Comments:

A car for people who by cars with the brain. The car is easy to service and repair. All most everything is DIY. One of the cheapest cars to own. Thirsty, yes, but that is also the only expense you will have.

My car was equipped with factory installed Plus-package - 190 horsepower. Thanks to rear wheel drive and a diff lock, the car was extremely fast, leaving much more powerful front wheel drive cars behind it!

Review Date: 25th May, 2009

26th May 2009, 08:05

I also own a 940 Volvo, and whilst I would not describe it as the best car in the world, it is way above some of the recent offerings from auto companies and would outlast the majority of them. If owning it makes me a Luddite, so be it.

7th Jun 2009, 16:47

Believe it or not!!!

I own also a Volvo 940 Polar Version 06/1995 (Turbo Diesel) with 122 HP and drive from time to ime a Company Car VW Passat 109 HP (2006)... guess which car is more comfortable and safer (with really high safety standard that meets today's standards!!!).

The only disadvantage of the Volvo is... the car is thirsty.

1993 Volvo 940 GL 2.2L non-turbo from North America

Engine and transmission 2.2L non-turbo Automatic
Distance when acquired120000 miles
Most recent distance220000 miles
Previous carVolkswagen Jetta

Car needed new steering assembly at 160K.

Replaced dashboard instrument cluster due to failed gas gage.

Re-soldered connection in climate control to get A/C working.

Heated seats don't work.

General Comments:

A seriously comfortable car for long journeys.

Never once left us by the side of the road, broke down in traffic or refused to start.

Wonderful car in winter weather, stable, great handling, excellent heater.

HUGE amount of cargo space.

Not a rocket, but plenty of power when needed for passing or lane changes. It's a station wagon, after all, and needs to be driven like one.

Heavy and solid and always felt safe. That feeling was proven true when the car died for us. We walked away from a 40+MPH collision with a driver who suddenly attempted to turn left in front of us at an intersection. The cop investigating the accident was rather impressed.

Amazingly decent sound system.

Review Date: 13th March, 2009

1993 Volvo 940 Wagon turbo from North America

Year of manufacture1992
Engine and transmission turbo Automatic

Summary:

A high maintenance, low fuel economy, unreliable vehicle

The fuel pumps have had to be replaced... twice.

ECU had to be replaced along with the brakes, rotors, and body work had to be done due to a previous accident.

The car "stutter-steps" when you try to accelerate, and the driver has to alter the way the gas pedal is depressed in order for the car to move beyond 25 mph.

General Comments:

The car is safe, comfortable, and family oriented. However, with all of the problems I have had, I am strongly considering purchasing a new vehicle.

I also own a 1984 Volvo 240, which I love and is completely 100% reliable. Funny considering this car is almost 10 years older than the 940.

Review Date: 6th January, 2009