1993 Volvo 940 Wagon turbo from North America

Summary:

A high maintenance, low fuel economy, unreliable vehicle

The fuel pumps have had to be replaced... twice.

ECU had to be replaced along with the brakes, rotors, and body work had to be done due to a previous accident.

The car "stutter-steps" when you try to accelerate, and the driver has to alter the way the gas pedal is depressed in order for the car to move beyond 25 mph.

General Comments:

The car is safe, comfortable, and family oriented. However, with all of the problems I have had, I am strongly considering purchasing a new vehicle.

I also own a 1984 Volvo 240, which I love and is completely 100% reliable. Funny considering this car is almost 10 years older than the 940.

Review Date: 6th January, 2009

1993 Volvo 940 GLE 2.3 petrol from Australia and New Zealand

Summary:

Good, solid, easy to maintain car, purchased for A$4000, which I believe makes it good value

Drivers side front seat slightly worn, and the seat belt has worn through seat material.

This car was a one owner low mileage car, which has had only limited use the last few years of the previous ownership. Due to an unknown service record, I have had the cambelt replaced, and also had a new crankcase ventilation kit installed.

Car had a check engine engine light and SRS lights displaced at time of purchase. The oxygen sensor was replaced and the SRS reset by VOLVO specialist, and I have had no further problems.

Front disc rotors on car need replacement, and I have bought replacement rotors (Brembo) at approximately half the quoted price of genuine parts.

General Comments:

This car is a very comfortable vehicle on highway. It's not a performance vehicle, but is quite adequate.

I have found it to be reasonably economical; 32MPG at 110kmh on the open road.

Review Date: 22nd December, 2007

9th Nov 2008, 06:29

Original author of post

Car has now done 112,000kms, no major problems slight leak of coolant on waterpump, no cause for concern.

Car regularly averaging 32mpg on highway.

Used car on holiday to NW West Australia, very predictable handling on dirt and rough road conditions, pleasantly surprised by ability of car on bad roads fully laden.

8th Oct 2010, 18:51

Original author of review. Just used car on a holiday of 6000kms, which included severe dirt roads in Northern Territory and W Australia. Despite being overloaded 3 spare tires, 60 liters extra fuel and extra water for emergencies plus all luggage, the car handled the conditions with ease. Averaged 31.5mpg fuel consumption for trip. Car did not miss a beat; very predictable, even on severe dirt and corrugations. On one section of over 1000km dirt, it was the only normal sedan seen; rest of vehicles were all 4wd.

20th Dec 2016, 10:13

The car has now done 198000 km. Still running strongly. I have had the front suspension rebuilt, new bushes and ball joints, and Bilstein heavy duty shocks back and front.

20th Dec 2016, 23:44

Sounds like a fantastic car. Not many cars of that age would cope with such a road trip with such ease. Everyone always says the 940 is an over engineered car.

21st Dec 2016, 11:39

Wow, keep us posted. Good to know you've gotten a good run with the car except for regular normal wear and tear items. I've got a 2001 BMW 316ti I bought used 6 years ago, had 65K km, now done 164K, didn't think I'd be keeping the car this long, but it's been good to me, and I love driving it. Has been very dependable except for 2 coils and the original battery that failed at 13 years old. Only biggish items done were the chain/tensioner 3 years ago, and the radiator and expansion tank last July.

1993 Volvo 940 from North America

Summary:

Very Reliable

I have had to replace an ignition module. Brake pads and rotors. The rotors probably needed to be replaced because I waited too long to change the pads. Besides that just regular tune ups and oil changes. The interior hasn't held up too well, but that seems to be a common complaint.

General Comments:

I drove the hell out of this car. I have put about 40,000 miles on it in the year I have had it. Other than the rotors I have spent very little on the car to keep it up. Just the normal tune ups and oil changes and this car runs great. It's no sports car, but it can get on the freeway with no problem. It feels very safe and starts every time. I wouldn't hesitate to drive it across country right now.

Review Date: 31st March, 2007