30th Aug 2018, 15:54

That's is a little unfair on the car I think. In the 1980s you didn't have air bags, so you couldn't have had a warning light telling you about it. Look at second hand parts, as that could be cheaper. I bet the Volvo has far less rust than the 1980s car, LOL. It would also be more comfortable and probably save your life in an accident - again, something that has come on leaps and bounds with modern cars. Shame to scrap it; if you were local to me, I'd buy it to save it being scrapped, and get it fixed up so to give someone else a decent car.

30th Aug 2018, 21:54

You're right it's not the car's fault, and I get what you are saying, but as I mentioned, the car is worth £1200 at best in a private sale. Since the repairs will likely exceed that, it makes you wonder if it's worth it. I could spend a lot making it perfect, but in the end all I'll have is a 11 year old car with over 140K on it.

As durable as Volvos are, I just don't trust it to last me another year or so without hitting me with another big repair bill. Yes it's a decent modern car that's worlds ahead in safety advancements than cars I've had before, but the fact is I got more durability out of older cars. You could also blame the rising cost of motoring in general - fuel, insurance, repairs, parts, tax, etc. In the UK nearly all of the above have almost doubled in recent years.

8th Oct 2018, 18:41

The reason a lot of cars in the £1000 - £1500 price bracket are quickly being scrapped now is simple - rising cost of parts/repairs, just as you mentioned. And in the UK, and I suspect worldwide, things are getting more expensive in general. If a repair is going to cost £1000 upwards and the car is only worth around just that or less, it makes more sense to get another car.

Government scrappage schemes have done little to preserve the longevity of cars - probably made things worse. They would rather cars at 10 years and older were not on the road, and you bought new.

Shame really, 5 - 10 years ago there was still a lot of 1990s cars around and you could get them as cheap as £600 and run them for a year or two with little to no problems, then scrap or even sell again. And even if you did have a repair, it was only around £200 to sort out, not £1000 so it was worth it. Not too long ago I ran some late 80s/early 90s cars just like this - and I did not care about being laughed at for driving a 15 or even 20 year old car - I had the last laugh - I was on the road cheaper than everyone else. But it's getting harder now as you said. The only cars in the bargain price range now are mid 2000s crap with far too much electronic stuff to go wrong.

11th Dec 2018, 19:55

I would agree but it depends on the car. As many have discussed, it is shocking that a £2000 car can be written off with a minor electronic fault. Back in the day myself I was also driving £600 cars and confidently running them for a couple of years, safe in the knowledge that if they were looked after and the timing belt had been done (if applicable), it was a safe bet.

Now it's a whole new ball game. Plenty of cars like Fords and Vauxhalls about at the £2000 price range and Volvos are somewhere in between or slightly above. But there are BMWs and Mercedes from circa 2005 that I would not touch at ridiculous prices for cars of such an age now. Good cars, but let's face it, they will cost the car's value or more when they break. You have to do a lot of research, especially buying any car in the sub £3000 bracket, even cheaper less desirable cars. It's a lot of money for some people, and all you are getting is a 10 year old car with lots of mileage on it - it's not going to be perfect. Again, awful value for money when you think what £1000 or less got you just 10 years ago.