2003 Volvo S60 2.0 turbo from Sri Lanka

Summary:

Solid car

Suspension parts, very common on Sri Lankan roads.

Faulty stereo.

Power steering pump makes a weird noise.

Other than that, nothing which I could describe as unreliable.

General Comments:

I bought this car after driving my friend's S60.

The ride quality is great. There is much less road noise.

The 5 cylinder engine is not the most refined, but gets decent gas mileage (because it's a manual).

The factory stereo and speakers are brilliant. You can turn the volume up a lot with no distortion.

The seats are the best I have sat on a car. Very comfortable and they have lots of adjustments.

It has lots of toys compared to other cars (dual zone climate control, telephone etc).

Overall it is a solid car.

Review Date: 21st December, 2014

21st Dec 2014, 20:34

The power steering pump gets noisy on Volvos, if the wrong fluid is used. The fluid must be the Pentosin CHF11s. An equivalent is the Prestone Power Steering Fluid for European Vehicles, which is synthetic.

2003 Volvo S60 2.4L from North America

Summary:

Comfortable vehicle with a few design issues

A few light bulbs.

Digital dash clock problem - a common electronic issue.

General Comments:

Got this vehicle in pristine condition, despite the mileage.

A few points about this Volvo, an older model:

All three mirrors are too small, affecting rear visibility - a safety concern.

The trunk is deep, yet rear leg room is very short - they could have cut into the trunk size and increased the rear leg room.

Central arm rest is a thin plastic cover.

Otherwise a great package overall.

Review Date: 19th May, 2013

2003 Volvo S60 D5 S 2.4 turbo diesel 163bhp from UK and Ireland

Summary:

Just hope the new is as good as the old model

Dashboard clocks worked very intermittently after 100,000 miles. This was due to the earth having come undone due to a bad mechanic, and being jump started from a 96 Hilux eight times in one day!! Oops, known problem in S60 and V70 derivatives. Volvo say YOU NEED A NEW ONE @ €1200. Rubbish!! Got one from scrappies for €50 30,000 miles ago with no problems. Yet...

General Comments:

Am personally doomed to a 96 Series III Toyota Hilux Surf during the week for 800 miles per week. Have a 99 Porsche Boxster for weekends. Would take the missus' Volvo any day over those two for any journey.

Review Date: 9th January, 2010

2003 Volvo S60 SE 2.0t from UK and Ireland

Summary:

Stylish, fun to drive and comfortable

Front knocking noise from suspension. Being sent to garage.

Carpets have some wear to them (not too important!)

The runners for the front two cupholder are broken so the cover is loose (p.s. please help with suggestions as to how I can sort this... tks!)

Nothing else.

General Comments:

Having owned a 1998 Vectra di for the past two years and 65000 miles, this is a world apart.

I am 20 and do pay too much insurance, but its worth it for the comfort and power from the fantastic 2.0t engine. Driving 500 miles a week is nice to be done in a relaxing and comfortable car, the Volvo does that superbly.

My friends and family asked me... why, when I showed them what I bought - but after looking more closely and taking a drive in it, they were surprised.

Call me old before my time, but I love the style of the car. I think its sleek and besides, with those 17/225 wheels, it really does look the part.

Mine only has the half leather, and the seats aren't heated. But the climate control works a treat, whilst my stereo is sublime.

The carpets have worn with a few tears evident, but I bought a set of mats from Volvo - which look fine.

Cruise control ideal for the long motorway commutes!

Performance for me is amazing. The power delivery is smooth, refined and the engine has an impressive growl to it when exceeding 4000 revs!

I enjoy driving this car. Its comfy, quick, (i think) stylish, and it makes me really look forwards to making an otherwise dull, long and slow journey.

Fuel consumption is not good around town. On a run it is better. But be sensible and you can see mid thirties. To be honest, I Don't CARE...!

Nothing makes fuel any cheaper, so if you have to do a high mileage, spend a bit more - and ENJOY THE JOURNEY!!!

P.S. guys, please, any help on my hinges for the cupholder would be appreciated - as would any comments on my post.

Thanks for reading!

Review Date: 16th August, 2008

17th Aug 2008, 09:55

Take a look at, or post your cup-holder query on... www.volvospy.com. It's one of the better Volvo owners forums.

20th Aug 2014, 21:43

As for the cupholder, it's a late answer, but the only way to deal with it is to break the cover and remove it. It doesn't look back with the cupholders exposed. Replacing the whole thing is complicated.