2003 Volvo S60 2.5T AWD 2.5L Light Pressure turbo from North America

Summary:

A.W.D .and a solid feel, but will it be reliable

Complete cooling system failure and overheating at 5000 km (about 3000 miles). Car overheated in a very short time-frame. Parts back ordered for over two weeks. Dealer offered loaner, but a beat up S40 wagon is not exactly the same thing.

Some interior plastic trim parts detached within a short time of delivery when new.

General Comments:

Good:

-Acceleration is more than adequate

- Transmission shifts well

- Seats are very comfortable

- Heating & defrost are fantastic, variable fan speed for defrost function is a plus

- Steering feel and weight are superb

- Interior layout and quality of materials used in cabin is very good. Uncluttered and very easy to use

- all wheel drive is exceptionally good in the snow. Great improvement over traction control systems

- sound system quality is good

- Overall fit and finish is of high caliber

Not so good:

- engine is not as smooth as some competitors

- Rearward visibility is not great, especially for parking situations

- Ride is somewhat harsh over roads that are not in the best shape

- while handling is sporty and solid, it drives and feels like a much bigger car than it is

- Rear seat room is less generous than it could be. Too tight for adults on longer trips and it would be nice to have heated seats in the back as some competitors offer

- brand new cars should not suffer from cooling system failure!

- Dealer experience was only average at best.

Review Date: 26th March, 2004

2003 Volvo S60 SE 2.4T petrol from UK and Ireland

Summary:

Beautiful looking, ugly reliability

Cold starting problems (Still not fixed after 4 attempts)

Battery goes flat if car not used for more than a week.

Too many squeaks & rattles.

Rain sensors unreliable (Intermittent are better)

Electric seats keep resetting themselves.

Gearbox very jerky when in traffic.

General Comments:

Why did Ford have to poke their nose in and lower the quality of what was once good, reliable & solidly-built cars? I have driven Volvos in the past and have been very impressed by the build quality and solid feel. I'm sorry to say, but, the one I have now seems to be falling apart at the seams with one problem after another. The dealer appears to do nothing to fix it and they say, "We downloaded new software" is the fix to everything - it's not! I picked my car up recently after attempt no. 4 to fix the cold start problems and the dealer even put a dent in my rear passenger door and curbed an alloy wheel for good measure. I have contacted Trading Standards and I am considering formally rejecting this obnoxious lump of metal and demand a realistic refund allowing for minor depreciation. The only nice things I can say about this car is that the seats are very comfortable and the audio system sounds superb. This is also the first great-looking car that Volvo has built!

Review Date: 9th February, 2004

18th Nov 2006, 04:09

Without Ford Motor Company, it is quite possible there would be no Volvo! There would certainly not be cars of the quality Volvo are presently producing. Have a look at SAAB to see how a one time innovative manufacturer of good quality cars has slumped due to lack of investment by GM.

18th Nov 2006, 09:33

Hey - if ford didn't own volvo, the quality would be better still!

6th Apr 2007, 18:28

I have a VOLVO to welcome to the unreliable auto club.

I have owned only Fords in my life and cannot believe this company is owned by them. I'm thinking about tearing off the sheet metal and bolting it on my Ranger then I would have a nice looking dependable car.