2004 Volvo S60 D5 2.4 163 bhp from UK and Ireland

Summary:

Comfort, Style and Build - I love it!

Stereo crackled when the heated rear screen was switched on - new rear screen fitted under warranty.

Intermittent creak from the rear, unable to trace at the minute, checks show nothings wrong, could be the exhaust..

General Comments:

Fantastic comfort, I drive it for hours on end and the seats are amazing!

The ride can become a little rough on bad surfaces, but it generally glides around in a softish, relaxing way!

Always gets good comments, my friends can't believe how nice modern Volvo's are!

Performance is great, the surge from the turbo is addictive! It just keeps on accelerating! May get it chipped, I've driven the 185 model and it did feel that little bit quicker..

It does sound a bit to 'dieselly' sometimes which can be annoying, but minor compared to the plus point of 35mpg around town with spirited driving!

Review Date: 30th December, 2007

21st Oct 2008, 11:04

Update! The car's now done over 43,000 miles and I've had no problems. The creak from the rear went a long time ago, don't know what it was, but it's gone now anyway!

I'm averaging 40mpg now with mostly town driving. It is an auto and I don't hang around, so can't complain!

Main dealer wanted £420 for a basic service! I used my Local Volvo specialist instead and they did a warranty service for £200, which included a £30 pollen filter. Why are main dealers so expensive?!

I've had 3 headlight bulbs replaced so far, very common with Volvo's. The Specialist changes them for £10, including the bulb. I can't get to it to do it myself, my hand was bleeding when I tried!

2004 Volvo S60 D5 2.4 turbo from South Africa

Summary:

A Brilliant Car

Air-con blew cold air only and the fan was noisy.

Petrol attendant broke fuel door. Volvo should think of a stronger way of attaching the spring that keeps the door close.

The after service in South Africa is pathetic. Volvo should have a website where people could be "shamed by name" and respond to your complaints.

Volvo parts are very expensive and should have some sort of plan for customers wishing to keep their Volvo's for longer than the warranty and motor plan period.

Volvo need to introduce more styles to their range and prevent the styles from getting boring. Needs to benchmark against Mercedes and BMW at all times and beat these manufacturers on cost.

General Comments:

Very comfortable and safe car and has the power to go with it.

The best low noise diesel car in town.

At last Volvo cars are becoming more fuel efficient.

A FANTASTIC car to have provided you have a motor plan.

Volvo beats Merc and BMW by far. Merc's are for snotty rich people who like to show off. BMW are for arrogant drivers who think they are driving the fastest car and own the road. When have you last driven a Volvo?

Volvo drivers are the modest and sensible people that know what they want in life and just carry on with their lives. Their cars do the talking.

Review Date: 10th February, 2007

10th Feb 2007, 17:47

The diesel engine is very good, must agree about the petrol flap, is only plastic, costs peanuts to replace.

2004 Volvo S60 SE 2.4 D5 from UK and Ireland

Summary:

Understated, but effective

Not a single fault in 55 thousand miles of comfort motoring.

General Comments:

Without doubt the most comfortable car in the world. The seats are just perfect. Not the most exciting car to drive, but it does what it says on the tin. Lots of equipment as standard and this again beats the competition. Certain German brands seem to charge for the air in the cabin. As for safety. It may have a 4 star rating on NCAP, but don't be put off. This car delivers in every way you would wish in the safety arena. I was recently wiped out on a London motorway and the car was externally destroyed by massive impacts on all four sides. I walked away without a scratch, with every one of the air bags deploying. As you would suspect my replacement car is another S60 SE D5. Well if it isn't broken, don't break it would be my suggestion.

Understated, but effective. Well done Volvo.

Review Date: 14th November, 2006