1999 Volvo V70 XC from North America

Summary:

Excellent maker, excellent car!

ABS module, window switch replaced, head of gear shifter wore out at 184000, alternator. All "wear and tear" items.

Bought it used from a person who DID NOT take good care of the vehicle.

Overall very few problems. Very reliable, great ride, looks great, my favorite Volvo to date!

General Comments:

I got my V70 XC at auction in 2009, and I have absolutely loved it! I will agree that Volvos aren't as good as the years have gone on. That because FORD bought them, and let's be honest, the quality of a Volvo and a Ford are incomparable. My parents have 3 94 850s that have been perfect. No really, my dad bought his 94 850 brand new and has only replaced tires, brakes, and basic "wear and tear" items. When Ford bought them, the electrical issues started.

I have had very minor problems, unlike most of the posters above. I will say that with Volvos there are a few VERY important rules.

1. You MUST maintain your car! Check your oil! Check your antifreeze! These are major things, and if one wears out, before you know it, you will blow a head gasket. Look for leakage under your car! Worn out brakes or tires are the fault of the DRIVER not the car.

Furthermore, the Emissions/Check engine light is a very minor problem. I drove my 97 850 with the check engine light on for over a year in college. It only means that somewhere there is a weak linkage in your emissions lines -- not usually a serious issue.

The second rule with all cars - Volvos especially - NEVER GO TO A DEALERSHIP! It's in their best interest to rip you off.

The only major things I have done to my car is an ABS module -- which should only be about a $200 job, not as much as anyone else keeps saying it should cost -- and my alternator. With most Volvo's ABS modules go wrong by the 10-14 yr mark.

PS - To the poster who believes it is only linked to brakes - WRONG! It's your computer system; anti lock brakes are a part of it, but it's also got a lot to do with all of your other electrical/computer sensors. GET IT FIXED. Look online, there's a guy who refurbishes them for $130.

I once had a rubber hose fail to my breather box... that was $10. Oh, and a rubber nipple on my gas tank went... but let's be honest, the car is 10 years old. Rubber isn't steel. It eventually fails.

Learn about cars. Don't trust dealers. And shop around. You'll find that most of the time a car isn't bad if you take care of it.

I absolutely love this car. My family currently has 8 Volvos ranging from an 2 240 wagons, 4 850s, 1 240 sedan, and my V70 XC. (and we've sold a few over the years.) Even old ones are better than the paying a car payment. I'd rather have a $200 bill to replace a 10 year old part every 6 mos, then pay $400 EVERY MONTH.

Review Date: 14th January, 2010

14th Jan 2010, 19:02

This used to be the norm for Volvo reviews. I owned an '83 Volvo 240 Wagon I bought used in 1998. It had over 300,000 original miles on it. Everything was original. I drove it often, and had planned to restore it (body was quite rotted, but that was the only problem with it.) Unfortunately had to sell it before I could though. Ford ruined the new Volvo's.

1999 Volvo V70 from Germany

Summary:

I wonder if I made a huge mistake in purchasing a Volvo V70

Brake lights have been replaced twice in 6 months; panel covers were nearly impossible to remove in order to replace bulbs and ended up cracking in several places.

Main light switch quit working and was replaced by me (costs of $70), only to find out the part was recalled by Volvo and should have been replaced by dealership at no cost.

Electric door locks do not raise or lower on the driver side door, and door does not lock at all on the passenger side.

ETS light and Emissions light came on at 78,000, resulting in 2 separate week - long service visits to the dealership costing over $1500.00 to replace the Electronic Throttle Unit (10-year warranty was up less than 5 months ago).

Timing belt replaced at 78,000 (cost $800.00).

Driver side door panel (arm rest) has bubbled and ripped.

60,000 mile recommended service was performed by previous owner at dealership (costing over $1300.00).

General Comments:

Car is comfortable and handles great.

Repair costs have me concerned.

I do not have freedom of mind as a Volvo owner because I am only awaiting the next expensive repair service.

Review Date: 10th September, 2009

24th Sep 2009, 22:59

Why you attempt to do do repairs which you are not comfortable with? Perhaps, you should had let a professional work on replacing the bulbs. Most cars are due for a timing belt about 70K miles.

4th Jan 2010, 19:23

Unfortunately, yes, you did make a huge mistake. If I were you I would run, not walk, away from this car. You are in the mileage range now where the repairs really start to pile up. You haven't seen anything yet!