1989 Yugo GV Review

First year of ownership1990
Most recent year of ownership2001
Distance when acquired2000 miles
Previous carDodge Colt

Summary:

Great car for the price

Cable clutch broke (normal).

Brakes stay locked.

Window handles brake easily.

Timing belt broke.

General Comments:

This car runs great. It gives a good mileage per gallon of gas.

I like the style (European).

People make fun of it, but I will keep it until death do us apart.

Review Date: 17th June, 2001

15th Apr 2006, 10:04

Yugo is crap to me... I live in Serbia and nobody likes it!

16th Apr 2006, 09:29

Read the reviews on this site and scan the Internet and you will find the Yugo now has a cult following, similar to the Trabant or Citroen 2CV. To each his own.

31st May 2006, 01:33

I hate how fashion conscience everyone is! I love cars like Citroen 2cv, Fiat 500, Trabant, Lloyd, and King Midget, but I would never be caught driving them in America. Ill have to move to a Country with open minded people, like France and Russia or Spain. But fortunately I would drive a Yugo and not feel like people are laughing at me (much). But all unique cars are fun until some one sees you in it.

31st May 2006, 23:58

Could not agree with you more! Unique cars ARE fun. Those who have a need to "conform to fashion" are boring and dull.

1st Jun 2006, 12:11

Other than the fact the Yugo was extremely easy to work on and fix, this car WAS a certified piece of junk because it ALWAYS needed fixing.

2nd Jun 2006, 02:26

Really? Speaking from personal experience, are we? Strange then, that the vast majority of Yugo owners enjoy years of trouble-free motoring. A responsible owner, who maintains his (or her) car diligently, should not experience the "always fixing" problems you refer to.

18th Jan 2007, 06:34

I bought a new Yugo in the USA for $3,000. I drove it for 4 years and put 148,000 miles on it. I spent less than $100. over that time on un-scheduled repairs, (emergency brake cable, outter tie-rod end, leaking heater core/control valve gasket). changed oil every 5,000 miles with Mobil-1. No car has EVER given me the service I got from my Yugo. Shame they stopped importing them...

Don