- Passed safety inspection. Nice, since I purchased the car for just $2500 CDN.
- Fuel economy is lacking a bit. When I first bought the car (November 2009) I was getting 26 MPG (50 city/ 50 highway) and not revving it past 3000 RPM and accelerating gradually. I often used cruise control on the highway.
- I then recently changed spark plugs (NGK PZFR6F-11).
- Cleaned out throttle with Honda carb. cleaner.
- Gave it a oil change (5W20 Honda oil + Honda filter).
- Changed the air cleaner (Honda part).
After this, I drove with the same behavior and got no better then 26.6 MPG. Which is about 450km until the fuel light comes on.
I've gone to fueleconomy.gov, and plenty of owners were averaging about 35 MPG. Other sites conquer.
I can understand if I was just driving in the city, but I do a lot of highway, and I haven't exceeded 110km/h.
The other day I just changed the tranny oil (Honda oil). I hear that will help a bit, since I noticed reduced stickiness when the gears were shifting (auto transmission). It's been about 130,000 km since the oil was last changed. I think I should have done a complete overall.
I just did an emission test using my OBDII reader, and everything checked out. I think I might do an official emissions test at a garage to investigate further.
Alignment is good, tires are good with air pressure checked regularly.
The idle is right on, with no significant fluctuations. I find that possibly the car could accelerate better. I find I have to push harder than normal on the pedal to give a good go.
When I changed the plugs, I noticed that the plug coils were burnt. With 236000km the plugs looked good (kind of whitish), but I think they weren't ever changed.
Since I've had cars I've been obsessed with MPG. I've been the owner of a 5 speed Vigor for 6 years until rust took its life. I often exceeded over 30 MPG on the highway, up to 33.5 at times, and apparently the rating is 26.5 MPG. (I like hypermileing!!!)
I don't want to spend too much money on this car, but I don't want to waste money on fuel and senselessly adding more pollutants to the air. If anyone knows of a specific problem with this car or multiple suggestions that would cause this, please let me know.