2002 Acura 1.7 EL from North America - Comments

26th Nov 2012, 19:43

2002 Acura EL, SRS light came on at around 130K. The car runs pretty well still with 150K on it. Brakes, tires & oil so far. I had better get the timing belt done next.

Never had anything close to 800K per tank like another poster mentioned. I'm lucky to get 550K country driving.

21st Jan 2013, 16:18

Head light issues, it could be your DRL module under the steering needs some solder work done. If you are a technical person, I am sure you will know what I am talking about. Get someone with bit of soldering experience, who can go under your steering and get that little box under there, then open the box, and re-flow all the solder joints, and put it back the same way. You will then be ready to go. If you are wanting to take it to dealer and sort this out, it will cost some $300 easy. This is like 2 hours work with your friend and yourself.

Hope this helps!!

Ruban.

Ottawa, Canada.

20th Feb 2013, 02:22

I had to replace my timing belt at 100,000km due to rough idling back in 2005. The car went fine afterwards. Now, I'm at 214,000km. Do I have to replace the timing belt or follow 174,000km in the manual. Mine is a 2001 Acura EL automatic.

29th Mar 2013, 19:08

What should I give special attention too before buying a 2002 Acura EL with 246000 kms? I'm helping my sister find a good, used, affordable, well engineered car with a good reputation.

Thanks

From Tim

Email: smitht191@gmail.com

5th Sep 2013, 10:53

Hi, I have a 2003 Acura EL 1.7 5 speed. I recently changed the timing belt and pump on it at about 165,000 km. I changed due to noisy lifters and/or valves/cams, and it was recommended by the dealer. Now 5,000 km later the same problem has arisen, and upon acceleration either the lifters or valves are pretty noisy. I'm guessing maybe a valve adjustment should fix it, but my mechanic says the valves adjust automatically with the new belt??? Any ideas please? Other than that, the car is amazing, no complaints!!

My email is brooks87@live.com thanks! :-)

Thanks in advance, Tyler

2nd Jan 2014, 17:18

Every car will need an alternator and thermostat over time. It's not the car, so stop spreading this information about these cars, because people who don't know about cars think that those problems are now related to only Acura's, when in fact both my BMW's have had their thermostats and alternator changed over time. THEY go on every car.

2nd Jan 2014, 17:19

Yours is a manual; that's why you don't have the problems others do. Get a manual if you can drive standard, as the automatic transmissions are prone to failure.

11th Apr 2014, 10:38

I would advise you get another mechanic.

You can adjust the valve but not the timing; it's done by the ECU.

Add another comment