20th Jun 2010, 14:56

I've owned a used 2006 1.8t A4 for several months now.

People who buy Audis would be less disappointed if they talked to someone who OWNED an Audi first. There are several things you must be aware of. You find out a lot of these items by researching the car you're about to pay thousands of dollars for on the Internet.

The 1.8t is NOT a race engine. It is a tiny engine with a tiny turbo. You will not be "burning rubber" with it. Most of these 1.8t's have substantial lag, or hesitation on acceleration. If this bothers you, why did you buy such a tiny, fuel efficient engine? The engine has respectable power for its size, but it takes time to develop.

The 1.8t uses a little bit of oil, even new. It's normal, so relax already. DON'T USE conventional oil in the engine. It will eventually clog the oil passages in the turbo.

The A4 is a small luxury car. It's like dating a supermodel... higher than usual maintenance. Due to its advanced engineering, expect to take it to the dealer for things most people fix themselves. It's only an attitude change and more cash. If cash is tight, why did you buy an Audi, instead of a Volkswagen?

At 100,000, mine has it's quirks. I still love it, and so does my wife. We have a wonderful dealer who helps with darn near everything.

R. White

Midland TX.

8th Aug 2010, 23:11

I have a question for all of the people reading this right now.

Has anyone else with an Audi A4 1997 Quattro have any issue at all with their transmission? Or the clutch slave cylinder?

Do you have any comments on how to fix it also?

Thank you for reading this.

5th Oct 2010, 03:00

Excess oil consumption? Is that right? I change my oil every 5K and haven't had to top it off. I am thinking, all cars burn oil, but not all cars give you a digital readout. Dipsticks are gone in the new A4, because how many of us check them anyway?

11th Nov 2010, 05:49

I've had my Audi A4 Avant TDI for two years now (2009 model). No problems, and still feels like a new car... - and this is in Sweden with wet salty roads, long cold (-15 C) periods during winters. So, a great car for me this far... :-)

11th Nov 2010, 07:33

I just bought an Audi A4 1.8 petrol.

The mileage is around 2000 kms and the oil level in the MMI shows a little less than half. I have put a litre of oil in it as advised by the Audi dealer, now the MMI shows full, that is after 2 days. I am wondering if there is a function in it which shows extra oil, as I was told 0.5 litres is enough. I'm just wondering if I might have put 300 - 400 ml extra, if so is this OK?

Can I get some expert to advise me please. Thanks.

13th Jan 2011, 14:37

I would rather you have added 0.25L at a time and checked the oil level each time. If it is close enough to full, that would be OK. It is not good for an engine to be over-filled with oil.

29th Jan 2014, 12:13

For all the people calling oil consumption normal on a new vehicles, that is not true, no matter the vehicle.

Audi calls it normal because they don't want to replace a defective engine.

It's 2014, no new engine of any brand consumes oil. Be it Ferrari, Porsche, Honda or Hyundai. It's called engineering, and all engines have basically the same mechanics (an exception is the rotary engines found in some Mazda vehicles). All combustion engines, turbo or non turbo, are designed today to not consume oil unless there is significant wear (high mileage) or a manufacturing or assembly fault.

A car that consumes 1L of oil every 5000 miles from new has a manufacturing or assembly fault without any doubt. Yes, this is possible even with brands that have a reputation, such as Audi. Years ago, Volvo had transmission issues with many of their models; they never accepted responsibility for costly repairs.

It's Audi's fault, insist with the Audi representative for your country to have the engine replaced.