2004 BMW 3 Series Reviews - Page 2 of 4

Model year2004
Year of manufacture2004
First year of ownership2009
Previous carAudi A6

Summary:

Best car I've ever owned

I have had no problems with this car.

Sound system in the BMW does not come close to the Audi Bose sound.

General Comments:

This is by far the best car I have ever owned. I decided to change my Audi A6 3.0 TDi because it was sluggish in the city and not reactive. You have 2 second blanks when you press the accelerator, and then the turbo kicks in and you go flying. There is no in between. I also needed some cash, so figured I would go with a cheaper second hand car... well what a surprise.

The BMW 330 xi is by far the best car I have ever owned. It is nimble, agile in the city and has the perfect weight power balance. Once in the mountain passes, it is super fun, and the handling is fantastic.

The automatic gear box is great with no blank moments, very quick transmission. The motor sounds amazing and I still don't get bored of it. It has just the right amount of power to be fun, without becoming too tempting and dangerous. I have pushed the car hard in the mountain passes, and not once have I felt in danger.

I bought the car second hand, and the interior is surprisingly well kept. The seats are a kind of snake / scale like leather and it hasn't budged. I have seen a couple BMWs with the regular leather, and it doesn't age well.

It has a fantastic option, a button you press to manage the car when you are going downhill. It takes the car down at a walking pace and can handle the steepest iciest slopes, really unbelievable.

The 4 wheel drive is awesome!

I was never a BMW guy... but there is no going back from here. I collect old VWs and have never been very attached to my daily driver. I like my BMW more than my Beetle.

Review Date: 10th October, 2010

14th Sep 2012, 14:58

Well the coolant system is a known weak spot in some of those cars. There are some examples that reach beyond 120,000 miles on the same water pump, radiator etc, while most don't make it that far. BMW dealerships consider those parts to be maintenance items that should be changed every 40,000-50,000 miles, or every 4-5 years.

There are updated, more metal like parts for the cooling system, but the dealer only supplies and installs the OEM quick fail parts. The metal replacement parts are tricky because they are about twice as expensive, but usually last the life of the car into the upper 150,000 mile range, but some cheap metal alternatives are nothing but trouble, so most people just stick with dealer and replace the entire coolant system every so often.

And yes, these cars have to be repaired very properly, meaning that the pimple faced kid straight out of Bimmer school may have not a clue of what he/she is doing, but the experienced guy is busy fixing the 760LIs and 6 series Bimmers, so your car might end up as a test dummy for a newbie at a dealership, thus finding yourself having the same issue over and over.

2004 BMW 3 Series 330xi 3.0L I6 from North America

Model year2004
Year of manufacture2004
First year of ownership2009
Engine and transmission 3.0L I6 Automatic
Previous carChevrolet TrailBlazer

Summary:

This is the most fun I have ever had driving a car!

Nothing.

General Comments:

Only had the vehicle for 1 month and it is the most enjoyable car I have ever had. Driving is a blast, and this thing flies out of the gate in 'S' mode. Nothing inside this vehicle makes a noise... I have punched the gas and driven over gravel, and I cannot get the interior to squeak or rattle!

I pray it has no mechanical issues down the road as I plan regular maintenance care. If this vehicle provides me the driving enjoyment over the next year as I have recently experienced, I will never buy another make beyond BMW.

We are now planning to trade our second vehicle in for a 2007 330xi next week.

Review Date: 9th July, 2009

9th Jul 2009, 16:44

Last month one of the car magazines, Automobile or MotorTrend I think, said the 3 series BMW were pretty reliable (I think they said "bulletproof") except for the all wheel drive models. Since you will have two all wheel drive models, I hope you can keep us updated on what your experiences are. My neighbor has had his grey 328xi in the shop 3 times in the last 12 months. We always know because that is when he has the bright red loaner car from the dealership.

Choosing bright red for the loaner car was probably not the best idea the dealership ever had.