2004 BMW 3 Series 320D 2.0 turbo diesel from UK and Ireland

Summary:

The 320D is so good, I'm buying its big brother, the 330D in 6 months,

One Xenon light failed at 34,000 miles and 3 years.

Full set of new tyres were fitted at 28,000 miles.

General Comments:

I went for cloth seats and have no regrets; the sports seats are incredibly comfortable for long journeys and they hug you well on windy roads.

The driving experience is superb; good handling and I feel safe and secure when driving at speed compared to my earlier cars.

These BMWs are worth the premium over the mas produced cars as they are so well engineered and road noise is subdued.

I get 52MPG on long runs and 43mpg about town.

This is a leased car, and it has been my best to date.

Review Date: 18th November, 2007

19th Nov 2007, 21:44

If you're buying an E46 330d, I congratulate you on your wise decision. Got one myself and it's superb.

Not too sure if I can commend you if you are buying the new E90 generation 3 series, though, as these cars seem to have lost some of the charm of the E46 type.

2004 BMW 3 Series 316ti Sport 1.8 from UK and Ireland

Summary:

Quality motoring

Rattle from the rear - fixed under warranty.

General Comments:

Excellent build quality

Handling is superb - very stable at speed & around corners. Has next to no body roll

Engine is very economical, smooth and free revving.

Power delivery is linear and is fairly nippy for a 1.8.

Should have bought this car earlier!!

Review Date: 31st December, 2005

5th Nov 2007, 14:41

Just to update, now covered 15000 miles, thoughts are still exactly the same...

2004 BMW 3 Series 330ci M-Sport Convertible 3.0 (3.0 Litre) from UK and Ireland

Summary:

Excellent

None.

General Comments:

Simply Superb

A true head-turner, and a car-lover's dream!

Review Date: 16th December, 2005

18th Dec 2005, 09:52

Very informative and detailed review. Well done.

2004 BMW 3 Series 325i from North America

Summary:

Great car, fun to drive with the stereo turned up so not to be irritated by the squeaks and rattles

Squeaks and rattles at 3000 miles.

My 1987 325is with 165,000 miles had a tighter body than my 2004 325i at 3000 miles.

General Comments:

The 2004 325i is my fifth three series starting with a 1985, and I have been a BMW fan every since. I love the way they drive - quick, responsive, smooth and quiet. However, with this said, this will be the last BMW I will buy due to the poor body construction.

Review Date: 23rd September, 2005

7th Aug 2007, 03:31

I have a 2006 325I 6 speed manual, was great for the first 10,000km, sounds awesome at red-line, then I had to replace the diff under warranty along with the clutch which was slipping, noticed that it doesn't have a spare wheel, instead it has run flats, yeah that's great when you have to drive another 200km in the dark on the highway. The factory mobile phone car kit is broken and the car squeaks and rattles over every speed bump. I also think they are far to common, there are now five silver current model 3 series BMW's in my street. I had a C240 with 180,000km with no squeaks or rattles at all. I think I have had my stint with BMW it's time to order the new shape C-Class.

2004 BMW 3 Series 330 Ci Sport 3.0 24v petrol from UK and Ireland

Summary:

Quick, smooth, entertaining and 31 mpg!

Nothing has gone wrong.

General Comments:

Has surpassed every expectation.

The engine is incredible, giving true sports car pace whilst returning 31 mpg average. How do BMW do it? I used to have a Mazda MX-5 which was 1200cc smaller, 300kg lighter, had only 60% of the power, yet returned 1 mpg less. A remarkable feat of engineering on BMW's part.

The car is fun to drive, although my only real criticism of is that it does isolate the driver a little from the action. Cocooned in a comfortable cabin with lots of noise insulation, it's not until you look at the speedo that you realise just how quick and capable the car is. This isolation however makes it a superb long distance machine. My job regularly takes me from the South coast up to Tyneside, and the car will munch this 400 mile journey so effortlessly that I rarely need to stop en route.

It's a fast, good looking, reliable, beautifully built and incredibly economical car which has a real feel good factor about it, even if they are pretty much everywhere these days. Exclusivity does not come with 3-series ownership any more, but that's a mark of the excellence of the car. I struggle to see how BMW will improve it in all honesty.

Review Date: 25th October, 2004

2004 BMW 3 Series Ci Sport 2.0 from UK and Ireland

Summary:

Perfect

None.

General Comments:

WOW, what a car. We took delivery of the car yesterday, and we had to go and pick the tax disc up today for it in Shrewsbury.

God, what a drive down, FANTASTIC in every way. It corners so good, it's not even a harsh ride with the 18" wheels. Sounds great, looks great, drives great.

I think we will be sticking to our BMW instead of those crap Audis and Mercs.

Review Date: 17th January, 2004

2nd Aug 2004, 04:51

I've got the same 318ci sport with the 18" M tech wheels. What a cool looking Car!!! I love it!

27th Sep 2004, 16:51

This was a really good review, right up until the last sentence. Audis and Mercs are not "crap", and to suggest they are shows staggering ignorance. The 3 series is a fine car (I have had two, so I know), but there are models in both the Audi and Mercedes range that are at least as good as equivalent BMWs.

Unfortunately comments like this simply enforce the increasingly poor image and reputation of the 3 series and its drivers among British motorists. It's pretty sad really.

22nd Jan 2013, 18:09

Very well said... I tip my hat to you, couldn't have said it better, and for that... RESPECT. I have seen that ignorance in a lot of people.