I must say I have a love/hate relationship with this vehicle. Everything that makes a car great, this car has. But everything that a car should never have, it unfortunately has also. I absolutely love the way it drives and that was the reason we leased this car.
Our thumbs up:
- Power: It has power to spare and is super fast on the highway. NO turbo lag from the 300 HP engine.
- Brakes: Super brakes and terrific pedal feel, and stopping distances.
- Steering: Steering feel handling combination is great. A little heavy at slow speeds, but great once you go.
- Looks: The exterior looks are good, but the interior is a bit unintuitive and confusing.
- Interior: The seats are very comfortable and great for long trips. Enough trunk space for a weekend get-a-way. HID lights are excellent.
Our thumbs down:
- Poor gas mileage. We average 14.6 MPG which is exactly the same as our old Lexus GX470 SUV that fits 7 people and has AWD and weighs 5000+ lbs.
- Unreliable: Our list of problems outweigh its excellent driving ability. Problems like we have never seen before or expected from a BMW. We did a little research on the net and found many other owners have complained about reliability mostly electrical problems, but also the assembly seems to be sub-par. --ie sunroof misaligned. Other owners have mentioned the additional oil so I guess its not just us. I gave the dealer service an 8 because they did everything they could, but were slow to issue a loaner car. The maintenance was free so the cost of ownership should be low-- its not. Insurance was 40% more than the our Lexus SUV, and the gas mileage was POOR. These combined, cost more in the long run than the free maintenance. This car has unacceptable reliability in our book.
- Ride comfort: We find the ride a bit rough and harsh and strange vibrations showed themselves at about 7k miles.
-iDrive. An absolute hassle to operate. We need to read the owners manual to change the bass or treble and enter an address and we have owned it almost a year.
In all, not worth the trouble of owning. Not satisfied. we would never consider a BMW ever again.