4th Jul 2014, 02:57

Everything you said, I feel exactly the same way. Most high Ks survivals are always NZ new. A friend of mine took her NZ new Toyota Prius for a service after 6 years, and they replaced a few things under warranty for no charge. Funny that you say even Mitsis haha. Couldn't agree any less. I still don't know why Japanese cars (same model) last a lot less. I heard a long time back that cars that are sold new to countries outside Japan are made to suit their conditions. So it really comes down to buying export quality vs Japanese domestic ones has quality variance.

I also totally agree on Singapore vs Japan. I have owned many Japanese cars. Found them slightly fuel efficient, but not as robust and well built as NZ new, but anyway better than Singapore.

As for a BMW coupe - yes body parts are very painful to find and very expensive. Being in NZ - eBay is a good source. There are not many coupes in NZ, but plenty of sedans.

4th Jul 2014, 22:00

I think that's because of maintenance. About 85% of all brand-new cars sold in NZ are company cars - or leased. They have to service the car by the book, else they breach the lease conditions. And companies aren't as sensitive to spending on service or repairs as consumers, since it's tax-deductible. By the time the lease comes off in 3 years, the car is still fairly expensive to buy. People who buy at this time are the type who still get the car serviced - maybe not at a dealer, but still regularly, and keep it for another 3 years. So at least for the first 6 years of the car's life, it's been looked after.

I've seen at a garage a very, very mint Mitsi Mirage with pearlescent paint and an unmarked interior, mint - but the mechanic showed me the engine sump: mud. The car never had an oil change in its life. Even with a full service, the damage is now done and irreparable. It will never last as long. In fairness to Japan, notice that there are also a disproportionate amount of older Japanese import European cars on the roads, like BMWs or 190Es. Perhaps European car owners there are a bit more diligent with service, and don't treat them as disposables.

8th Jul 2014, 02:10

Yes, totally. Service takes any car a long way. If they are not badly abused and serviced on time - I see no reason why it shouldn't do really high Ks.

My work car is a leased vehicle, and I look after 3 fields of operation, which are from 80-120km each way. My current Rav4 has done 130k in just over 2 years, and it drives no different than when I got it new. All I do is take in for service within 1k before or after the recommended date. Apart from tyres - nothing was needed ever and it still feels new. So the key to success is service for longer lasting cars and buying secondhand - buying from a mature sensible owner who loves cars, or an ex-company vehicle, are generally wiser picks.

An alternative solution to a bad vehicle can be an engine swap - but once you get something not factory fitted - all types of auxiliary problems start happening. Tried that once, and wouldn't do that again :)

11th Aug 2014, 01:40

Update: nothing wrong yet - touch wood :). Got few things done as part of maintenance.

1) Full service - a very detailed one.

2) Gear box flush.

3) New non run flat tyres (lower road noise and handles softer and better).

4) Wheel alignment.

Also.

5) Got a new factory rim set, which are like brand new.

So far I'm very, very happy with it.

Fuel economy tested on the open road of about 7.7L - 8L to 100km = ~30 MPG.

In the city it's about 9.5L - 11L per 100km = ~25 MPG.

11th Aug 2014, 19:39

Hi, what brand of non-runflats did you get? The consensus from even owners of 1-series cars I have spoken with, said changing to non-runflats makes all the difference, and they just take a can of goo and a compressor in the boot. Your fuel consumption is pretty good, and then again, that's what VANOS and Valvetronic will do.

13th Aug 2014, 10:38

Hello there. The tyres are 225/45/17 Michelin Primacy HP. I am very happy with the result to be honest.

Fuel economy wise I had a 323ci coupe in E46 shape. They both are very similar. I drive fairly gentle except the few odd overtakes a few times on a long trip.

But if changing the tyre has improved the fuel economy, it's a little early to tell, but I'll keep you posted. I need to drive few thousand ks before I comment :)

25th Aug 2014, 23:31

Just an update: I have driven about 1500km since then. I don't really see any difference on fuel economy, but the ride is definitely much softer and nicer.