1990 BMW 5 Series Reviews - Page 6 of 8

1990 BMW 5 Series 530I 3 Litre from UK and Ireland

Engine and transmission 3 Litre Automatic
Previous carFord Escort

Summary:

A little thirsty on fuel but it's worth it!

Nothing very much has gone wrong with the car so far.

The central locking stopped working just after I bought the car, but the garage put that right for me.

The interior is looking a little shabby now, but I have just managed to track down a second hand immaculate black leather interior for £200 which will sort that little problem out.

General Comments:

My car has now done 155,000 Miles and the engine still starts first time every time. Not bad for a car built in 1990 with this sort of mileage on it.

I'm just looking forward to the next 100,000 miles of trouble free motoring.

I will not be selling this car anytime soon because it really is a dream to own, A little on the old side, but as you would expect from a BMW it is so reliable.

Review Date: 10th May, 2004

1990 BMW 5 Series 535i SE sports 3.5 from UK and Ireland

Previous carVauxhall Cavalier

Summary:

A great car and would recommend it to anyone

Broken fan clutch.

Back box blew.

Faulty battery.

Needed new tires.

General Comments:

This car is a very fast motor which I took up-to 150mph before putting the wind up myself and being forced to slow down.

It's a great runner with plenty of go right from the start even though its automatic.

The full leather interior give loads of comfort with plenty of room for the back seat passengers too.

Great in the summer with a great air conditioning unit and great in the winter as there is a temperature control for both sides of the car allowing you to control the right temperature.

Plenty of boot space for when you go traveling which in my case comes in very handy for me and my family.

The cruise control is fantastic. With the car being automatic it allows me to turn it on at 25mph and it will itself resume the speed that was previously set, i.e. 70mph. It saves a great deal on fuel too.

In my opinion these cars with the 3.5 engine are really made for long journeys as around town it only does about 15-17mpg.

Review Date: 29th April, 2004

3rd Aug 2007, 12:03

Well since I wrote this review in 2004, I have just got rid of my 530I after it had done 265000 miles, because the head gasket has just blown, and I don't think it was worth sorting.

Other than that, the car had not let me down once. Not bad for a car that only cost me £1000 3 years ago, and I had driven all those miles in.

1990 BMW 5 Series 525i 2.5 from Germany

Distance when acquired200500 miles
Previous carHonda CRX

Summary:

All cars should be BMW period

Very few problems That I've had to fix in this car, considering it is a high mileage car.

A couple of months after I bought her, I had to fix some electrical problems.

Just superficial minor things like the seats wearing out through the years.

In 2001 I had to replace the timing belt, and some hoses as well.

General Comments:

I am really glad I got this car. My 1990 BMW 525i is very reliable, comfortable, good running car.

The engine has never failed to start and I have never had to replace or rebuilt the transmission which are the two things you need in good condition for your car.

It is a pleasure to drive it, besides I like driving, so I'm always trying to find a excuse to drive in my 525i.

Now this car has more than 254,000 miles on it, and so far so good. But of course I'm constantly keeping up with the maintenance which plays a very important role to make the car last longer and perform better.

Oil change every 3,000 miles, and anything the car needs just have that done and not wait a long time before you take care of the problem, because it becomes worse.

I'm thinking to buy another car, but I'm keeping her as long as possible just because I'm really happy with the quality of such car.

Whenever I hear anything negative about BMW I just walk away. One of the best cars ever made. It's just the way to go.

Review Date: 8th March, 2004

26th Jul 2005, 00:52

I recently purchased a 1990 525 with a 164k I would like to know what is the longest distance you have driven your bmw.

2nd Sep 2012, 13:18

I have a 1990 e34. Recently I was driving, heard a noise, then the engine shut down and wouldn't start. What do you think is wrong with the engine? Oh, and I just replaced the engine.