1986 Buick Grand National from North America - Comments

22nd Apr 2008, 16:08

A 1986 Buick GN is a stone compared to what's available now!

23rd Apr 2008, 20:28

True but when new it had new Corvette owners concerned. Love the exterior wish they devoted more to the interior.

31st May 2008, 23:21

Are you serious?

NO WAY is the Grand National a stone as to what available now (especially not the 1987 model-year). Find another car on the street that's putting out 355 Lb-feet of torque at 2000 RPM - at any displacement or technology. The intercooled GN can still blast a WRX (for example) and a LOT of other cars out there.

Are there faster cars out there today, yes, absolutely, but nobody can deny the contribution that the intercooled Buick Grand Nationals made to the performance, small displacement (or even large displacement) cars of today.

Also, bear in mind the technology that was available back in 1987. The Grand National was light years ahead of it's time. One example might be the distributorless ignition system, which Ford then later tweaked into their version in the EDIS (Electronic Distributorless Ignition System) ignition system. I'm a MegaSquirt (http://www.megasquirt.info) tuner. I breathe fuel injection. I also breathe turbo's. Just ask my 1981 Fiat Spider 2000 - Garrett T3 turbocharged, MegaSquirted and EDIS'd.

I was also the owner of one of the very few made 1979 Buick Regal Sport Coupe's which had a 231 cid V6 AIResearch turbocharged engine with a 4bbl Rochester Quadrajet carburetor. That was my first car ever, and I tore it down, punched it, cut the crank, slapped in some TRW Powerforged pistons and went to the drag strip.

No matter what the cause, the intercooled Buick Grand National cars of the 80's were bad-to-the-bone machines, and there is no denying the deep respect that they still hold today on the street and at the strip.

Find another 21 year-old car that does that!

Best.

ETM - Germantown, WI.

2nd Oct 2009, 18:55

I have been seriously considering buying a 1987 Buick Grand National, but wasn't quite sure about it. After reading these comments, I'm convinced that I must take the chance to own this car.

Much love to those who love their wheels.

16th Mar 2010, 22:02

I own a 1987 GN. A true piece of history from Buick that will still scoot with the very best of them even 23 years later. Always a Mustang eater, it also snacks on nearly every rice machine in sight, without turning off the air conditioning. Everywhere I go I seem to find people who will strike a conversation as soon as I park it.

Naturally, this being Canada, it sleeps in the winter, but roars all summer while the winter truck rests. Great Fun. Igs

24th Jan 2011, 18:54

I like the GN. Very, very fast. You should all be happy, you own the best car in the world!

15th Jul 2013, 16:17

I have an 86. Anytime you want to see what vehicle is a stone, let me know. Remember the turbo V6 can be modified. Jason White, with his stock block V6 is running 8s 1/4 miles. That's not a stone.

16th Jul 2013, 13:48

Now if you could get rid of that factory 80 MPH speedometer and put in a 200 MPH one like the newer GMs, you'd be set.

Add another comment