1982 Buick LeSabre Reviews - Page 2 of 2

Model year1982
First year of ownership2010
Engine and transmission 5.0L V8 Automatic
Previous carOldsmobile Cutlass

Summary:

An awesome luxurious ride

I just purchased the car, and I replaced the battery, battery cables, spark plugs, spark plug wires, and the starter.

General Comments:

I bought this car on 06/25/2010, and I really enjoyed driving it home. I bought this car from an elderly man who has had it since new, and I had to drive it back home, which is a little over 300 miles.

The car has been in a wreck, and it has a front clip, passenger fender, and passenger door from a 1984 LeSabre. The ex owner said the front clip is different from the original one, but I can't see why. It is lined up and fits the car perfect, but he said the lights were smaller and the grille was bigger. But this is my first car, and I've never seen any of them with what he described, so if anybody knows, please tell me?

Anyways, me and my dad did a full tune up on it, and I have been driving it all day. I just got my license, and I love driving this car.

It is all original with the exception of the parts mentioned. It is a cream color with a dark brown half soft top and it has a dark brown pillow top interior. It has power windows, power locks, a power driver seat, a power trunk release, and opera lamps; according to my dad, that's what they're called. It also has Buick mag wheels.

The front end, fender, and door that have been replaced are a tan color though, so I plan on getting them painted to match the car.

I might try to find a 1982 front clip if there is any difference; that way it would look original. Needless to say though, this car is awesome and I plan on keeping it looking original without those ridiculous wheels and trunk thumping. I plan on driving around playing my rock music and keeping it original. I don't plan on running the heck out of it either; I like how smooth it is, even if it's going at a slow speed.

But if anyone can tell me the difference between a 1982 and 1984, please let me know. Every other LeSabre I've seen like this had the same front clip as this one.

Review Date: 26th June, 2010

26th Jun 2010, 10:48

Just go to google.com and select images. Compare the '82 and '84 Buick LeSabre pictures. There are some definite differences, although somewhat subtle.

The most noticeable is that the grille extended below the front headlamps in the '82, the grille design is different, and the front marker lamp is located below the headlamp as an extension of the grille into the fender, while in '84, the front marker lamp was located on the same level as the headlamp, much like the Regal of that era.

The headlamps were also divided by a thin chrome bar in '84, and split by a thicker body color piece in '82. The rear fascia is also different from '82 to '84, so right now your car doesn't match with an '84 front and '82 rear fascia.

1982 Buick LeSabre Custom 4-door 5.0 Liter V8 (307) from North America

Model year1982
First year of ownership1995
Engine and transmission 5.0 Liter V8 (307) Automatic
Previous carFord Thunderbird

Summary:

277,000 miles strong!!!

Other than normal wear and tear items:

Front wheel bearing.

U-joint snapped one day in -45 degree weather, this at over 240,000 miles.

Heater fan replaced at 254,000.

Rear main seal got bad at 268,000, so I did the valve covers, front main, front cover and replaced timing chain, head gasket, manifold gasket to save myself the trouble down the road.

Speedometer cable broke at 233,000.

Fan clutch radiator and thermostat yesterday.

Replaced entire brake system a year ago at 262,000 miles.

4 ball joints replaced at 199,000 miles.

Check Engine Light comes on and off as it pleases, this started the day Fuel companies made it mandatory to add ethanol to gasoline.

Wiper motor two years ago.

General Comments:

If you want a reliable car that's cheap to maintain, tough as nails and simple enough for the common man to work on, get a 1977-1990 Full Size GM car with a V8. I can't believe the way this thing has stood by me. It has never failed to start, EVER. I live near Tower, MN where it is not uncommon for the temperatures in the winter to drop under 50 below Zero. Sometimes my car and the '70 Ford F-250 Pickup 2 miles down the road are the only vehicles around for miles that will start without being garaged or plugged in. This Car was stripped to the bone and repainted 1 year before I bought it and still looks like a new car. I don't drive it when the roads have fresh salt on them, I like to keep it clean and shiny. The small underpowered motor makes this car a gutless pig, but you can't kill it. Someday thousands of years from now some Scientist is going to dig up an old Buick from a junkyard, turn the key, and drive away. :-)

I get criticised for driving an "old, ugly, unreliable, American gas hog", yet somehow my car mysteriously gets nearly 23 MPG on the highway at 75 MPH, while everyone else's 2 ton SUV's and Minivans are stopping to refuel every 250 miles.

The car handles well considering it's massive size and old age. It gives its passengers the illusion of being fast because the ride is so soft.

The A/C hasn't worked in nearly 10 years, but with the short summers up here it isn't that big of a deal. The almost instant heat in the winter makes up for it.

This car is nothing special, it's not that "pretty", has hardly any options even for its era, but at least you can tell someone was using their head when they designed it. I'd like to drive it through the door at some exec's office in Detroit and show them what a real car is. Maybe this will teach GM to stop slaughtering its reputation and wake up and smell the coffee.

Review Date: 6th September, 2006

7th Sep 2006, 09:32

I agree these were great cars. I have a 1984 Oldsmobile Delta 88, which is very similar. The 307 is a wonderful, reliable, long lasting motor. I don't even find it that underpowered.

I did have one question though - does your Buick have the four speed automatic with overdrive? I used to have a Delta 88 with that, and it got much better mileage as well as feeling better at high speeds than with my current three speed non-overdrive.

9th Sep 2006, 10:34

God bless the old GM B&D Bodies!

24th Jan 2013, 14:25

Hi, I own a 82 Buick LeSabre Limited Coupe, light blue original paint, no rust, just turned 99,500 miles. Drive in summer only. Love this car. Has a 307 cu.in. 3 speed auto. Runs like a dream.

Leo B.

1982 Buick LeSabre Limited 307 V8 from North America

First year of ownership1998
Most recent year of ownership2000
Engine and transmission 307 V8 Automatic

Summary:

A longtime reliable tank

Fusable link has been out of it for years, a new one was no longer available so it was bypassed with wire ties and tape.

General Comments:

Typical GM 80's paint job is all but gone.

Does not burn any oil and still starts even when it is -25 degrees.

Review Date: 29th December, 2000

22nd Feb 2010, 15:22

Do not operate the car without a fusible link! If a short ever develops without this necessary safety item, you are at great risk of a fire. Fusible links are available at any good parts store. Determine the correct gauge, cut a piece about 4 to 5 inches long, and graft it into the harness using crimp connectors. Get 'er done!!

1982 Buick LeSabre 307 V8 from North America

Engine and transmission 307 V8

Currently has 200k miles on it. Only had the computer replaced.

Review Date: 18th October, 1998

30th Oct 2001, 07:18

I own a gray '82 LeSabre with a 350 under the hood and I think that Pontiac's saying "wider is better" is exactly that. I've never seen a fiberglass car get to close to my big dog! It's been going for 16 years and the way it's built, it's lookin' at about 50 more! Built like a tank, big as a C-130 cargo plane, and as fast as a runaway train. I LOVE IT!!!

25th Feb 2006, 01:04

I have a grey 1982 LeSabre custom 2 door. It's my everyday car, and I love it.

12th Mar 2006, 23:57

I have a grey 1982 lesabre coupe its my everyday car and I plan on keeping it forever I mean I really enjoy these cars.