1994 Buick LeSabre Custom 3.8 Series 1 V6 from North America

Summary:

Great, comfortable highway cruiser, but will nickle-and-dime

Radiator failed at 20k.

Firewall-facing exhaust manifold gasket failed at 24k.

Heater core failed at 29k. (dealer repair- $1k)

Heater core failed at 37k. (dealer repair- $1k)

Ignition switch security feature/key failed at 39k.

Muffler heat shield rivets failed at 45k. (put in new rivets for $1.80)

Trunk release solenoid failure at 57k.

Heater core failed for third time at 58k. (auto parts store for $60, $500 shop labor)

Paint going bad on trunk and hood - oxidization/clearcoat. Garaged until 2008.

General Comments:

Soft ride, solid, and pleasant highway cruiser.

Very soft seats, and reasonably comfortable.

Small outside mirrors.

Cupholder and center console an afterthought.

Outdated at time of manufacture dashboard.

Strong motor, responsive.

Dead bee/wasp/insect removal from high mount stop lamp is difficult.

Hood is heavy to lift.

Locking hubcaps rattle even when properly installed.

Review Date: 22nd January, 2010

23rd Jan 2010, 14:24

You stated your heater core failed within 6,000 miles of replacement at the Buick dealer. If that was within one year of the replacement, and you had the documentation to prove you had it repaired, you should not have paid for it twice. GM has a 1 year warranty for parts and labor.

1994 Buick LeSabre Limited 3.8L Series I Buick 3.8 V6 from North America

Summary:

I'm glad I'm the guy who owns that car!

I don't have very many problems with this vehicle, except the cup-holders first of all, have a huge effect on the desirability for the driver & passengers of this car. There's only two, and they fold in and out of the centre console, which I find a little irritating, but at least they can be put away.

The centre console itself is a tad irritating; it's a little flimsy, being only held by two pegs. It makes a good armrest, but it doesn't feel very secure.

The car needs better suspension.

The main sunblock-flaps are very thick.

It's gas sensor/indicator tends to give off false readings once in a while, although I suspect this has to do with the age of the vehicle.

Though it is to be expected with such a large car, it is very expensive to fill up the gas tank, as it goes through regular grade gasoline quickly.

A car this size is very difficult to handle during winter in snowy/icy conditions.

General Comments:

In a nutshell, I love this car. It handles wonderfully in the summer, it's extremely comfortable and pleasant to ride in and drive in too. My passengers love riding in my car. I have only owned it since the summer, and the previous owner didn't drive the car very much, which is why the KMs are so low for a 1994 model. The interior of the car gives a very classy impression, and the overall design of this car is very sleek and attractive. A high safety rating adds to the desirability.

Though pricey to maintain, I would proudly recommend the seventh Generation Buick LeSabre!

Review Date: 4th December, 2009

5th Dec 2009, 15:42

What do you mean 'a car this size is very difficult to handle in icy/snowy conditions'? You mean a car this small? Because that's not a big car, and it's hard to imagine one feeling more secure in a smaller car in dangerous situations.

5th Dec 2009, 18:22

It's still a pretty decent sized vehicle. And if it had rear-wheel drive then I wouldn't be surprised if it's difficult to drive in snow. I live near a very steep hill and every winter morning if there is snow on the ground, I can be almost positive that I will be passing the distressed owners of rear-wheel drive vehicles. I drive a Honda Civic, and when I've stopped to try to help these people out, after parking on the hill and watching them get towed up, they'll wave at me and then stare wide-eyed as I drop it down into first and pull up the hill without even spinning the wheels. And I've never owned a vehicle with snow tires in my life.

5th Dec 2009, 22:44

No LeSabre is small by any stretch of the imagination! However, they are also not really large, at least they haven't been for years. I drive a Park Avenue and find it very easy to handle, even though it is a larger car by today's standards.

6th Dec 2009, 12:52

LeSabres have been front wheel drive since 1986, Park Avenues since 1985 (alas). They're excellent in snow, of course.