Buick Lucerne Reviews - Page 2 of 4

First year of ownership2010
Most recent year of ownership2012
Engine and transmission 4.6L V8 Automatic
Previous carJeep Grand Cherokee

Summary:

The best Buick in years!

The only thing I had to replace was the serpentine belt, because it was beginning to squeal and crack in some places. But other than that, going through a set of brakes, tires, and regular oil changes every 3,000 miles, nothing has gone wrong with this car. I keep everything lubed and in perfect condition.

By the way, I see people have a lot of problems with tires on this car. I've invested with 80,000 miles - the Goodyear Assurance Comfort Rides. They are A MILLION times better than the Continentals. They are so quiet, so smooth, and grip the road in hard corners without squealing! I've had these tires for two years now, and I still have about 70% tread left on the tires. Plus I rotate them every 5,000 miles.

General Comments:

I have had nothing but good luck with this car. The reliability is amazing! And the Northstar V8 is amazing. When you slam down that pedal, it gets up and goes without an issue, and can pass any large truck with ease. But while cruising between 65 and 70 mph, I have been able to get almost 30mpg! Around town, I get around 19mpg. So on average, I normally get between 21 and 24 mpg with this car, which is amazing!

The car is only a CXL, but has everything that the CXS has, except the navigation system, the slightly quicker V8, and the turn signal lights in the side view mirrors. Other than that, it has every other option.

I love the heated washer fluid (which I replaced the unit with a newer system after the recall, so the system still works as it did from the factory), the rain sense wipers, the heated and cooled seats, automatic everything, remote start, the works! And it is a very pretty pearl white. With that color and the 17-inch chrome plated rims, the car looks REALLY sharp (and the rims aren't pitting)! It definitely turns heads! And the big cushy seats are so comfortable, especially with my lower back problems.

And the handling is UNBELIEVABLE with how big this car is! I have Stabilitrak and the magnetic ride control off of the Corvette. And I've taken hard corner with WRX's and BMW's, and was able to keep up with them.

It's a shame Buick dropped the Lucerne. Because with proper maintenance and care, these cars will run forever! Everyone who has seen this car and rode in it has had nothing but good things to say about it. I think it is one of the best cars that GM has put out in a long time!

Review Date: 27th April, 2012

27th Apr 2012, 17:59

Buick is GM's best division, and has been for a long time. It truly is a shame they don't make cars with size anymore, and they really need to come up with a new bigger flagship model instead of the LaCrosse.

27th Apr 2012, 18:47

I didn't realize you could get the V8 in the CXL model. I bought a 2011 CXL Premium brand new last year, and never really liked it. I previously had 2 Park Avenues ('99 & '05) and liked them much better. I felt like the Lucerne was just not nearly as luxurious or comfortable. I traded the Lucerne in March for a new Enclave, and am much happier. I am glad you're happy with yours though.

4th May 2012, 14:22

I agree. The LaCrosse is too small to be considered Buick's flagship. But I'm thinking with the new Cadillac XTS coming out, Buick will follow up with something similar.

4th May 2012, 14:26

I believe the V8 was only available on the CXL in 2006 and 2007. I think after that, you had to get the CXS in order to get the Northstar. However, I've seen some CXS models without the air conditioned seats and rain sense wipers. Since I bought this car used, I have a feel that it was custom built. Like I said, it has every option except the navigation and the turn signals in the side view mirrors. I know that Stabilitrak and the Magnetic Ride Control were optional too.

I really like the Park Avenues that were out prior to the Lucerne. But I've never been in one. So if they are as nice as you say they, I better stick with my Lucerne or I'll get jealous! I compare the comfort of my Lucerne to my old 1992 Cadillac DeVille. It just feels good! But good luck with your Enclave! My fiance and I are actually looking into the Enclave for when we have children one day.

5th May 2012, 10:04

I'm thinking the same thing, hopefully it will happen.

6th May 2012, 17:50

The new XTS is not that big either, and if I'm not mistaken, it is built on the same platform the LaCrosse already uses. Unless fuel prices go back to at least around $3 per gallon and the EPA is abolished, I don't think we will ever see even moderately large cars like the Buick Lucerne/Cadillac DTS again.

2011 Buick Lucerne CXL Premium 3.9 from North America

Model year2011
Year of manufacture2010
First year of ownership2011
Most recent year of ownership2011
Previous carBuick Park Avenue

Summary:

An OK near luxury sedan

I have not had any mechanical problems with the car, however it did have two defects in the paint from the factory. There were small bumps that were caused by dirt in the paint on the gas tank door, and on the rocker panel at the front corner of the front passenger door. There was also a drip in the clear coat on the trunk deck edge.

The automatic lights also weren't as sensitive as I felt they should be, so I popped the plastic cover off the sensor and applied a piece of darkened Scotch Tape over the solar panel, and now they work much better, plus you can't even tell I modified it.

General Comments:

This is the first car that I purchased brand new. I just assumed that I didn't have to look the car over like one would when buying a previously owned car. Well lesson learned; had I discovered the above mentioned paint issues, I would have never purchased the car unless the defects were repaired to my satisfaction before buying it. I had to have it painted 3 times before it was acceptable; there is still a faint run line on the tank door, but at least it matches now (it is White Diamond Tricoat, which apparently is fairly hard to match). I didn't have to pay a dime, but it was a real headache, and pretty much ruined the new car buying experience for me.

The car is a fine near luxury model, however I do regret trading my Park Avenue for this. I have had it for about 6 months now, and I still miss my old car. I was never crazy about this model, but had convinced myself I needed a new car, and rationalized that the Enclave that I really wanted was too expensive, and not practical for me. Well now I am kicking myself. I will hopefully end up selling this next year, and leasing an Enclave.

Don't get me wrong, it's not all bad. The ride, while not floaty soft like in my Park Avenues, is pretty comfortable, I also like the split bench seat (I for one will miss this configuration), I like the styling from the front, however the rear quarter does nothing for me.

A few options I like that my old car didn't have, are headlamps that come on with the windshield wipers, and cornering lamps that come on when the steering wheel is turned (kind of like the new articulating headlamps).

One option that is sorely missed that my Park Avenues had is the RainSense wipers. I loved this feature, and was shocked to find it was deleted from most GM models in the last few years!

I also think the layout for the displays is less user friendly. In my Park Avenues, the outside temp was largely displayed on the climate control, the compass was in the rear view mirror, and the time was very large and legible (designed for elderly eyes). Now the compass and outside temp are crammed in the small space below the speedometer where the DIC display is also located. In my opinion, it is too much displayed, too small, in one place. The corporate GM radio also has too much info constantly running across the screen and the time seems to blend in with it all.

I am really puzzled why GM replaced the Park Avenue with this model; the Park Avenue was just soo much better. My 2005 Park Avenue had an MSRP of over $42,000, this car stickered at $38,600. I would have gladly paid $10,000 more for a brand new Park Avenue.

Review Date: 11th November, 2011

13th Nov 2011, 20:56

The 3800 was a great motor; how does the 3.9 compare to it as far as performance and smooth acceleration?

15th Nov 2011, 13:36

I find the performance to be about the same as with the 3.8. With this type of car, it's not like I'm going to be drag racing it. Both have very adequate passing power for a larger car.

One thing that I have noticed is the fuel economy is not nearly as good with the 3.9. I was averaging over 22 mpg with my Park Avenue, driving the same route that I'm averaging about 18 with the Lucerne. The Lucerne only has about 2,900 miles on it, so it might get better??