1995 Buick Park Avenue Reviews

Year of manufacture1995
First year of ownership2009
Most recent distance52000 miles
Previous carBuick LeSabre

Summary:

Wish I had bought a 95 LeSabre

The car belonged to little old lady who kept it garaged. Showroom condition and mileage was only 41K. Paid $2500, which was a bargain, so I thought.

Coolant leak. A couple of months after getting the car, found a puddle under the car of antifreeze. Pressure test found leaks in the intake, water pump, and radiator. Cost to repair, about $1200. Sitting around apparently is not good for cars.

Engine started missing badly, but would smooth out when it got warm. Had to replace the ECM. Cost $140.

Oil consumption. The car has 50 PSI of oil pressure, no leaks, does not smoke, runs perfect, gets 30 mpg on highway, but you have to add a quart of oil about every 1000 miles. I can live with this, but wonder if it will get worse. Family has owned several LeSabres and a 91 Park Ave. All had a different version of the 3.8 V6. All were great cars, and nothing major ever when wrong. Appears GM spoiled a good thing.

The car now has little over 50K miles, and is doing great except for having to keep an eye on the oil level. I hope to drive this car another 150K.

General Comments:

I love this car. Large, safe, good gas mileage, even the paint is still perfect. But GM, why did you have to mess with this engine? The type one 3.8 was a much better engine.

Review Date: 7th November, 2010

8th Nov 2010, 02:22

The LeSabre and Park Avenue are identical mechanically, and both were good cars prior to 1995. 1995 and onwards they should be avoided due to the plastic intake manifold. 1994 and before this part was metal and the engine was one of the most durable and reliable ever made. Alas, GM ruined it in 1995. Progress, high technology, and all that.

8th Nov 2010, 16:48

I have had 2 Park Avenues ('99 and '05) with the 3.8 Series II engine, and have not had any engine issues so far. I always try to keep an eye on the coolant level, I especially kept a close eye on the '99, because I knew it had the plastic manifold and had over 145,000 miles on it when I sold it. As far as I know, it is still doing good for its elderly owners in Florida. I don't watch my 2005 as closely, because it only has 37,000 miles, and I believe it may have an aluminum intake manifold.

23rd Jul 2011, 19:38

It seems to me you got a very good deal on your car, even after having to spend an extra $1200 for the intake manifold. I just recently traded my 2005 Park Avenue (my second Park Avenue) for a brand new Lucerne. The Lucerne is a fine car, but I do miss my Park Avenue still even 2 months later. I hope to some day buy another Park Avenue to drive around as a second car to remind me of what Detroit iron used to be.

24th Jul 2011, 16:52

The last Park Avenue that was considered Detroit iron would be the 1984 model year. I'm not saying the last generation was bad; my father has been buying Buicks for almost 50 years, and he currently has an 03 model and it's a great car, but it doesn't come close to the 82 model he had many years ago.

25th Jul 2011, 17:39

Well I can assure you that the '03 Park Avenue he has is a lot closer to a true American car than almost anything on the market today, and it is only going to get much worse. Pretty much all of the semi-traditional domestic sedans are gone after this model year.

1995 Buick Park Avenue Ultra 3.8 Supercharged from North America

Model year1995
Year of manufacture1995
First year of ownership2009
Engine and transmission 3.8 Supercharged Automatic
Previous carOldsmobile Delta 88

Summary:

Nice car with some headaches

Several rear lights burnt out.

CD player stopped working after 2 weeks of purchase, radio still works.

The thermostat system broke and now only blows cold air out of the defroster all the time.

There seems to be an overall problem with the electrical system in the car; the right turn signal just stopped working.

General Comments:

I bought this car after driving my 1988 Oldsmobile Delta 88 for 3 years. Car looks and runs nice, but it lacks pick up a bit for such a big engine. I'm not sure if the supercharger is working.

The seats are really comfortable and there are plenty extra bells and whistles that make it nice.

I don't feel I'm getting good gas mileage like I did with my Oldsmobiles 3.8 engine.

The car is awesome on the highways and handles nice around town. In retrospect I probably should have gotten something smaller and more practical, but I have soft spot for GM cars. Any advice on how to handle the electrical issues would be great.

Review Date: 18th July, 2009

19th Jul 2009, 10:49

You can pick up a used cd player on eBay for under $100 dollars. This unit was used in most Buick models for several years so they are plentiful. You may even be able to install it yourself if you buy an unlocked unit. As for your mileage, you may need a tune-up, I have had two of the 2nd generation Park Avenues which are even heavier than your car and have averaged about 26-27 mpg with both of them (over 30 on the freeway). I think that is pretty good considering most small cars won't average much more than 30 and are far less comfortable or roomy.