1998 Buick Regal GS ?? from North America
The windows are built to fail!!!
From the repair documentation, here is the order in which the windows needed fixed:
1. 10/10/00 at 34,441 miles, right rear window broke, regulator replaced.
2. 10/10/00 at 34,441 miles, right front window broke, regulator replaced.
3. 2/21/02 at 53,788 miles, right front window broke, regulator replaced.
4. 2/21/02 at 53,788 miles, left front window broke, regulator replaced.
5. 2/26/02 at 54,023 miles, left rear window broke, regulator replaced.
6. 2/26/02 at 54,023 miles, right rear window broke, regulator replaced.
7. 5/14/02 at 56,673 miles, right front window broke, regulator replaced.
8. 4/28/03 at 69,297 miles, left front window broke, regulator replaced.
Buick continues to install a part described as a "regulator" to repair the windows on my Buick Regal. These regulators do not last. They have done this 8 times. It is the SAME DOCUMENTED PROBLEM. I have the repair documentation to prove it. They replace a regulator EVERY TIME and the part still goes bad. This proves the parts WERE NEVER, EVER, engineered to last. The dealer told me the regulators in Regals are bad. It costs $500.00 to fix these windows AND BUICK DOES NOT CARE!
Would you buy another car from this manufacturer? No
Review Date: 31st May, 2003
23rd Sep 2004, 21:41
Have owned 1996 Regal since new with 56,477 miles. I have never had a problem with the windows. If fact, this is one of the best cars I have ever owned.
10th Oct 2004, 00:26
I agree that the 1997 Regal has it's fair share of problems. I know because I worked for a dealership in Fla. for four years from '97-'01. However, I have never had the same car have it's window regulators fail twice, let alone eight times, but in no respect have I ever seen one break even one window. In my opinion, it's not the regulators. I think you should investigate the possibility of defects in the door construction, and the position of the guide rails. As far as the head gasket concern, I have never seen one leak with the kind of mileage you have. If it were my car I would write the corporation and tell them to fix the car, buy the car back, or file lemon law. They are a wonderful car and I'm sorry to hear you are having all these problems with it. The best of luck to you.