1982 Cadillac DeVille Reviews

Year of manufacture1982
First year of ownership2010
Engine and transmission 4.1L Automatic
Previous carPontiac Parisienne

Summary:

Potential to be a nice cruiser

I bought it as a basket case as is...

The engine has a miss in one cylinder and a clicking sound.

I need to check for a collapsed lifter or flat lobe on the camshaft.

General Comments:

I like big cruisers. This Caddy has real potential. I bought the car a few days ago. The car has a good body, but needs a paint job.

The interior is nice but needs a radio. Dash radio opening has been "modified" to accept a newer radio system. I haven't driven the car yet. I got it for $400 as is..

The engine has a miss in one cylinder and a clicking sound. I need to check for a collapsed lifter or flat lobe on the camshaft. Depending on the results of my engine teardown, I will either rebuild it or make it into a street rod. I have a choice of a Chev SB400 and turbo tranny or a 1983 Buick 455 engine and tranny. I prefer to keep it a economy cruiser, but if the engine work is too costly, then here comes a street rod project.

Review Date: 14th January, 2010

1982 Cadillac DeVille HT4100 from North America

Model year1982
Year of manufacture1982
First year of ownership2009
Engine and transmission HT4100 Automatic
Distance when acquired82000 miles
Previous carCadillac DeVille

Summary:

Cool, odd, but so much fun!

New radiator.

New brake pads and lines.

New exhaust.

All new belts and hoses.

This was done immediately after purchase, so far no problems.

General Comments:

I love this car, so far it's been awesome.

I've done a lot of reading on the ht4100, and find the motor to be fascinating. To me, owning a perfectly operational experimental/accidental unique piece of motoring is simply really cool.

I purchased this car from a guy whose mother owned it up until 2004 when she passed away. She used it to drive to church and back, kept it in a garage, and chain smoked cigarettes inside it. The car was on the side of the road and my father who also loves caddies gave me a call. At the time I was driving a 92 Deville, which I loved, but I got into a car accident and had to replace the hood with a mismatched color. The 82, which is in immaculate shape was mine. I worked overtime for a month and made the 1050 bucks I needed, put another 1500 into her and she runs like new.

Since then I’ve been driving it as my daily driver. I love it, the comfort, size, the fuel economy, and the fact that it's a Cadillac makes for a all around cool car. I realize that it could potentially be a total nightmare, but for now as it runs like a brand new car so I don’t really care. I think the ht4100 is a cool motor, who’d a thought that a 75 miles per hour on the highway you can average 25-27 miles per gallon in a 2.5 ton car!

Anyways, I can't complain. If it craps out after a couple years or so, I won't get my panties in a bunch. After all, it's a 27 year old car, and will probably be one of the coolest cars I ever own.

Review Date: 1st January, 2010

2nd Jan 2010, 17:10

Great attitude! And yes it's a cool car. Keep in mind that if it 'craps out on you', it wouldn't cost much at all to have someone install a junkyard Oldsmobile 307 V-8, as was standard after the 4.1 liter.

(Actually I had a front wheel drive '86 with the 4.1 and never had any problems, so who knows).

10th Jul 2010, 16:34

I am a new owner of a 4100 CAD, I love the car. My engine is now smoking lightly. She is a beauty and I will stand by her even if have to change the engine. Her body is worth it.

Jason. Trinidad, West Indies.

29th Apr 2013, 09:52

Yes, but a 1986 DeVille doesn't weigh in excess of 2 tons.