1984 Cadillac DeVille Sedan 4.1 liter from North America

Summary:

Absolutely reliable and comfortable, and easy to maintain myself at home

Have replaced shocks front and rear.

Have replaced center drag link 6 years ago.

Have replaced center drag link yesterday along with steering damper/shock.

Have replaced both rear wheel bearings.

Have replaced brake pads and shoes once and had rotors and drums turned once.

Have disassembled seat position switch and cleaned contacts and replaced; works like new.

Have replaced seat electric motor-to transmission link for drivers seat. Old one was stripped, a small piece of nylon that should be sturdier.

Have had climate control replaced once around 7 years ago. It again got in trouble recently and is acting up now.

Reg oil/filter changes at 3K from the time I got it, and has had one transmission oil change out.

General Comments:

Has been a very reliable car and easy for me to work on. Comfy to drive, but a little underpowered for its size/weight. That may be why I always see the Fleetwood version around with its 350 engine. I never see any DeVilles around East Tennessee like mine.

A wonderful interstate cruiser/traveler and great for any trip. I do not regret buying it. I got it for around $3,000 in around the year 2000 at 64,000 miles, and have never regretted it.

Review Date: 6th June, 2010

7th Jun 2010, 04:17

Actually the early 1980s Fleetwoods never had a 350 other than the diesel, which was probably even worse than a 4.1 V8. It wasn't until 1986 that the Fleetwood Brougham was rescued by the excellent Oldsmobile 307 V8.

1984 Cadillac DeVille Coupe Brougham 4.1 V8 from North America

Summary:

This car floats

The water pump went out approximately 6 months after I bought her. This, I originally attributed to the fact that she sat for 10 years, from 94-04 before I bought her. I am now learning that this is a VERY common problem with the 4100. Also, the distributor went out about a week after purchase, once again, most likely due to the long period of time she sat in a storage unit. The cruise control is broken, and the speedo is out of whacc due to the oversize tires the previous owner put on the rear. Also, the interior trim on the passenger c pillar is loose. Aside from that, this car has been a dream.

General Comments:

This car is one of the finest luxobarges GM ever put out. She drinks gas like nothing else, and won't even get out of her own way, but I love her. This car floats down the road, and has a style that can still not be touched by anything.

I found this car in Autotrader for 2800. I didn't call on it, because I was afraid it had already sold. 3 weeks later I was still seeing it, and got the balls to call on her. She was still available. Naturally, I immediately dropped what I was doing and drove out to take a look. Obviously I bought her, and started triccing her out. I put in a JVC head unit, 2 MTX 12 inch subs, and a Legacy 1000 watt amp. I also put a set of 15 inch Chrome Daytons on her, with whitewalls, of course. The hydraulics are coming soon, as is a new paint job, since the guy who painted the trunk lids must have been drunk or something. The dark brown leather is still immaculate, and aside from the cruise control, everything works.

Review Date: 3rd January, 2007

4th Jan 2007, 11:28

Watch out for that 4.1L V8. Seems like most people on here have had not very good luck with it, but a few have. Watch for coolant/oil leaking into each other, blown head gaskets.

1984 Cadillac DeVille Coupe HT4100 from North America

Summary:

It was nice when it was new... but got old and started falling apart almost over-night

Thermostat failed, causing engine to overheat.

Vehicle's main computer failed.

Digital climate controls failed.

Transmission failed.

Timing chain broke.

Engine started burning oil.

General Comments:

I am really surprised to hear so many good reviews on the 1984 Cadillac Coupe DeVille.

Unfortunately, mine was a different story long toward the end. I bought the car used in 1988 with 30,000 miles on it. I loved it, it was big, roomy, comfortable, smooth and quiet. The HT4100 wasn't a powerhouse, but it got the car up to speed pretty good.

I took the family to Florida to see Mickey in it in 1989, which was a 1,400 mile round trip. The car got us there and back with no problems.

In 1991, the thermostat failed and the car overheated in bumper to bumper traffic one afternoon. Thermostats are considered routine maintenance, so no big deal.

When hurricane Andrew was headed for Louisiana in 1992, we loaded up the Caddy and drove 800 miles North to stay with relatives. Again, car purred like a kitten there and back with no problems. I also made frequent road trips to Lafayette, Louisiana from New Orleans, which was a 250 mile round trip. I never encountered a problem on any of the trips.

In 1993, I moved the family to Orlando, Florida from New Orleans. I drove the moving truck while the wife and kids rode in the Cadillac. 650 miles was covered without incident. I believe the car had somewhere in the neighborhood of about 120,000 miles by this time, and was 9 years old. It continued to run reliably for the remainder of the year, but by 1994... it was beginning to get old really fast.

First, the computer failed, and the Cadillac dealer charged us a bloody fortune for a new one! I was hesitant to have the car repaired, but I believed that it would give us at least another several years of trouble-free service.

Next was the digital climate control. The dealer wanted an arm and a leg to repair, so we had it rigged by a shade-tree mechanic. The car was 10 years old, so we figured what the heck. The operation of the climate controls required the use of a 'toggle' switch, but worked nonetheless.

One night while we were cruising home from Wal-Mart at about 45-50 mph, the transmission dropped its gears. If you can imagine, this caused quite a jolt. At first we thought someone had rear-ended us! Thankfully, the car would still move, but wouldn't shift out of first. We 'limped' the rest of the way home in 1st gear. New transmission cost us $1500 for a re-manufactured unit. AAMCO replaced it. They explained to us that it looked as though an engine bushing had been lodged through it. I'm an idiot when it comes to automatic transmissions, so I accepted this. The car never really drove the same with the 'new' transmission. It had no get-up-and-go anymore. It almost felt as though the car was starting off in 2nd gear.

I decided to bring it back to AAMCO, and on my way there the darn thing broke down on me!

The engine stalled as I was coasting down the road. I pulled it off to the side and tried to crank it. The engine would crank, but wouldn't turn over. Rats! AAA came out and towed it to the local repair shop. Turned out to be the darn timing chain! The car had 136,000 miles. I decided I'd get the car fixed this one last time and then either sell it or trade it in for a better car.

I wound up driving the Cadillac for another year or so. I never even bothered to bring it back to AAMCO. Instead, I decided to live with it.

Everything held up mechanically, but it wasn't long before the interior started falling apart. The headliner was hanging down, the windows were falling off their tracks, the plastic wood panelings were coming unglued and falling off, the fuel gauge (located in the top-center of the dash) had a mind of it's own and of course the cassette player began eating tapes until it finally quit.

The final straw was in 1995 when the engine started burning a significant amount of oil out of the tail-pipe. I told my wife we're taking the car down and we're unloading it! I promised her a newer car, so she agreed for us to let 'blue boy' go.

We lost the driver's side hub cap on our way to the dealership. We arrived at the dealership and worked out a good deal on a 1992 Coupe DeVille (white with white/burgundy leather interior) Although they didn't give us much for the 84, I was glad to see it go!

The 92 had only 25,000 miles. I drove that car until 2002 and sold it with 180,000 miles. In my humble opinion, the 92 aged much more gracefully than the 84... and I didn't half as much trouble with it. The only 'major' item I replaced on the 92 was a starter at 150,000 miles. Everything else worked like a charm. The 4.9 V8 could run circles around the 4.1.

Well, that's my story!

Review Date: 22nd March, 2005

6th Sep 2005, 14:34

Sorry to hear about all the troubles you’re having with the 84 Deville.

My Brother and his wife have an 84 Deville and are in the same boat right now. The 84 Deville with the 4.1 engine needs a LOT of maintenance as outlined in your Owners Manual. Especially as it hit’s the higher end of the mileage range and things start to get old. Although the dealer should advise you at each service visit of what’s due, they may miss something OR the cost of the service may make you think twice about having it done. However, make no mistake, an old Cadillac is as costly to own as a NEW Cadillac and from my experience, when it rains, it pores in Cadillac land.

I am on my 3rd Cadillac and I have invested in maintenance alone, well over 150k all in all.