1994 Cadillac DeVille Reviews

First year of ownership2011
Most recent year of ownership2014
Engine and transmission 4.9L V8 Automatic
Previous carChevrolet Malibu

Summary:

A rugged, reliable, comfortable form of transportation

108,500: ABS light came on - never repaired - brakes work fine, just no ABS. I have driven accordingly.

121,000: Front struts were shot. Replaced with aftermarket (non sensing suspension) - $300.

122,000: Fuel filler neck rusted through (northeastern car) - $70.

127,000: Brake pads all around - $100.

138,000: Battery - $120.

142,000: Ran over an exhaust pipe, new tires all around - $380.

155,000: Front end work, replaced tie rod ends, hub assemblies, front and rear brake pads and rotors, and got an alignment - $650.

162,000: Leaking oil from cooler line fitting, fixed with teflon tape - $0.05.

165,000: Starter went, first time it left me stranded. Installed a new starter - $212.

172,000: Needs two tires (broken belts), rear coil springs, and sway bar end links. Estimated cost - $700.

General Comments:

This car has been astounding. Purchased in Maine from the 5th owner (ouch!) for $1,200, I've taken it down 65,000 miles and it's ready for more. I purchased this model to avoid the Northstar engine, my father-in-law has bought 4 since I bought mine, all with the Northstar, each one has blown a head gasket.

Somewhat neglected, many of the initial repairs were expected. There are running costs with any vehicle, but for the total this car has cost me, I cannot imagine much better on the road today that is this comfortable and cheap.

The A/C still blows cold, the heater could use some help, but it's 20 years old, so I only ask as much from it as it asks from me. The seats are quite comfortable and the steering easy, however, the steering does transmit a lot of feel for the road and this car handles marvelously.

The V8 has plenty of power despite being the base model, and efficiency is not as bad as many expect. I achieve 17 in town, 20 mixed and about 23 highway (I've had tanks as high as 27). The transmission still pulls strong, and if I'm not careful, smoke can be emitted from the tires as well as the tailpipe.

The car has great visibility, the only downside being it sits low enough to be in most headlight ranges. Baby fins help guide you into parking spaces or out of them. The rear window is a massive improvement over a 93. Cornering lamps are a wonderful feature; if you don't have them, try a car that has them. Cruise control is exceptionally accurate.

This car comes equipped with an 8 speaker stereo and it sounds magnificent! Just enough bass and treble; if you disagree, you can adjust it at the touch of a finger.

Onboard diagnostics are a life saver, learn how to do it and you will never have to have the mechanic turn off your check engine light again.

My original road sensing suspension shocks were replaced with Arnott suspension parts with great success. I have had no issues with their parts, and it still rides like a Cadillac.

Passenger cabin is roomy and has room for 6 (yes, I have put 6 adults in the car). One of the last bench seat passenger cars. My wife enjoys riding in the middle right next to me. Trunk is 20 cubic feet of wonder. You'd be amazed how much you can lose back there.

Rust has been minimal on this car (body and underbody), but some is starting to show through under the gas cap.

Only gripe is the compact spare tire. It is VERY tiny and will give you about 2-3 days to find a new full size tire. Make sure to double check the pressure on your spare!

Review Date: 3rd March, 2014

4th Mar 2014, 17:24

Yes, it is a wonder why nice features like cornering lamps and bench seats are no longer available on modern cars. While they may be old-fashioned, they are still very nice features and I think sorely missed. I won't even mention the pillow soft ride compared to modern cars. Oh how far we have fallen in 20 short years.

1994 Cadillac DeVille Base 4.9L from North America

Model year1994
Year of manufacture1994
First year of ownership2010
Engine and transmission 4.9L Automatic
Most recent distance52000 miles

Summary:

Amazing piece of machinery

Power steering pump replaced when the car was bought.

Windshield wiper motor replaced at 51,000 miles.

Seats have little wear on them, but not too bad.

Clear coat coming off the trunk.

General Comments:

Bought the car from an old lady, so it was very well taken care of and very clean.

The 4.9L engine has quite a bit of power for the size of the car. Also it does very well on gas, taking into account that it's a boat with a V8.

Interior is very nice no squeaks or rattles, but did I mention that it's also HUGE! The radio is very disappointing with only AM/FM cassette, but other than that, the speakers are loud and sound good.

All in all, I am very happy that I was able to buy this car, and would recommend it to anyone!

Review Date: 12th September, 2010

13th Sep 2010, 09:10

"The 4.9L engine has quite a bit of power for the size of the car."

- That 4.9 is like something out of the Middle Ages compared to the Northstar!

4th Mar 2014, 12:48

At least the 4.9 doesn't spit out its head gasket and warp the head at 51,000 miles... Sometimes older IS better.

9th Mar 2014, 06:41

Yeah, the Northstar is totally unreliable. The 4.9 was quite reliable. Old is definitely better - I'd rather have the Olds 307 they used to put in Cadillacs over either of these, but the 4.9 is definitely far superior to the Northstar. What you want is cast-iron push-rod simplicity and durability. All these multi-valves and aluminum are disastrous.

9th Mar 2014, 20:15

The Northstar engine is the main reason why I've steered clear of Cadillac models from the late 90's and beyond. It's a shame, because the 94-99 Devilles, along with the last generation Eldorado, were the last of the true Cadillac styling.

The reason I won't buy one of today's models is very simple; they don't represent the Cadillac name at all; way too small, ugly, and harsh stiff riding cars.

Speaking of the 4.9, I did own a 93 Sedan DeVille years back and it proved to be very reliable.

For the past seven years I have owned a 96 Town Car (the most reliable car I ever had). But I still like the styling of all the rear-drive Caddy's much better.

10th Mar 2014, 17:39

I agree that most modern Cadillacs are small and bland looking, plus not very plush riding. But I really like the looks of the 2006-2011 DTS. I thought it was a real improvement over the 2000-2005 model. In many ways the rear styling is reminiscent of the 67-68 Eldorado. It was a great size too, not too big and not too small. Although I really wish we could still buy bigger true full-size cars, these are about as big as you would ever need. I can't speak of the ride as I never have driven one. I did have a 2011 Lucerne, which shared the same platform, and the ride, while smooth, was nothing to write home about IMO.